The affluence of Manila

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

If you look at capital city's in general,there is an expensive core ,exclusive areas that attract the wealthy  and from there the money builds up trickling down the the middle classes and then the workers 

Look at London for an example ,the cost of housing in the nicer parts of the capital are lottery money ,this in turn provides a wealthy elite and from there the money spreads out , in the suburbs surrounding London,you have to pay 400k GB pounds for a three roomed terraced property ,so eventually the money will trickle down in places like Manila imho 

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cost of living in Manila might be the same as a random UK town in the north. Not if you're comparing like for like though, e.g BGC against Mayfair or Chelsea lol.
None of it is good for 99.9% of Filipinos anyway, the money 'trickles down' better in the UK, builders in London can easily make 2-300 quid per day, here they'll be lucky to make 10 pounds lol.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Cost of living in Manila might be the same as a random UK town in the north. Not if you're comparing like for like though, e.g BGC against Mayfair or Chelsea lol.
None of it is good for 99.9% of Filipinos anyway, the money 'trickles down' better in the UK, builders in London can easily make 2-300 quid per day, here they'll be lucky to make 10 pounds lol.

It's the managers that make the real dough in construction,my son is being fast tracked up the managerial pole , he was just given a 24k GB pounds pay rise

It's also their bonuses ,a good contracts manager or project manager can earn 200k a year 

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

so eventually the money will trickle down in places like Manila

If you ever did any plumbing work you would know what trickles down.  Hint - It ain't money ha ha

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

If you ever did any plumbing work you would know what trickles down.  Hint - It ain't money ha ha

If you have ever stood a the bottom of a main drain manhole and rodded it until you hear that gurgle ,boy can an old guy move fast lol

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

If you have ever stood a the bottom of a main drain manhole and rodded it until you hear that gurgle ,boy can an old guy move fast lol

My body has made that gurgle sound while I was in the CR a few times..disastrous results. Housekeeper was not happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes they build ever more 'cut and cover' drains, waiting, as the Mrs pointed out today.... to be refilled and blocked with the basura and litter thrown and washed  into them by an uncaring population.

As with so many (to our eyes) shortcomings here, it's cultural. Basically, they, the majority, don't give a shit. 

A waste of blood-pressure fretting about things over which we have no control. 

As for Manila... the (long ago) 'Pearl Of The Orient', each to their own, but I still only see there a filthy, smelly. polluted, overcrowded, poverty-stricken, dangerous, ugly, metropolis . 

Of course if I spent my days hiding out on the 20th floor of some anonymous painted breeze block high rise, or behind the gates of some wealthy subdivision (but still breathing in the poisonous air), I might see things differently.

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Where i am in Iloilo, the amount of development in the 4 years I'v been here is amazing, condos and shopping malls in particular.  But, there are not many lights on when you pass the condos at night.  The shopping malls are busy, but not at the checkouts.  In short, the build it and they will come philosophy simply doesn't work in a relatively poor country.  The only way it can work is if you can create a upper working class with money to spend - there is no sign of that happening here with salaries so low.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yes they build ever more 'cut and cover' drains, waiting, as the Mrs pointed out today.... to be refilled and blocked with the basura and litter thrown and washed  into them by an uncaring population.

As with so many (to our eyes) shortcomings here, it's cultural. Basically, they, the majority, don't give a shit. 

A waste of blood-pressure fretting about things over which we have no control

As for Manila... the (long ago) 'Pearl Of The Orient', each to their own, but I still only see there a filthy, smelly. polluted, overcrowded, poverty-stricken, dangerous, ugly, metropolis . 

Of course if I spent my days hiding out on the 20th floor of some anonymous painted breeze block high rise, or behind the gates of some wealthy subdivision (but still breathing in the poisonous air), I might see things differently.

Triple LIKE Graham......reality check in "which we have no control".  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 12/18/2018 at 6:01 AM, Jake said:

Yep, luxurious high rise living and right outside your comfort zone is abject poverty surrounding you.  

And those condos could turn into high rise slums if buyer become scarce do to pollution, traffic gridlock, brown outs, flooding, noise, crime, etc.

• Hmm thinking 1