The affluence of Manila

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Manila Bay is going to be cleaned up.

It will never get clean until the Philippines stops "catch and release" fishing.  Catch a fish, release a plastic bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Maybe just as well the groups of glue-sniffers, pickpockets ,street-sleepers, and other assorted HUMAN detritus, put off most tourists from peeking over the sea wall on Roxas Boulevard. :unsure:

images (1).jpg

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2018 at 9:08 PM, graham59 said:

Maybe just as well the groups of glue-sniffers, pickpockets ,street-sleepers, and other assorted HUMAN detritus, put off most tourists from peeking over the sea wall on Roxas Boulevard. :unsure:

images (1).jpg

Your a happy chappy aren't you. 

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

From what I have seen of Manila (lived a month there), it's best a place to be endured when you're flying in our out of the country. Too crowded. Too much traffic. Too much pollution. And the poverty you see there just feels a lot worse. Young children sniffing chemicals. Piles of small children sleeping in the street. Basura everywhere. The other big city I've stayed at, Cebu City, is much to be preferred. My wife doesn't understand why the poorest Manilenos don't just move out to the provinces where they can at least fish or farm.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

The other big city I've stayed at, Cebu City, is much to be preferred

Guess it depends on the section of town?  My wife worked in Manila 6 months and was scared when we visited Cebu - she had never seen such large gangs of street kids.  I saw way more beggars in Cebu, and they were much more aggressive.   Here, in Iloilo, we have very few beggars and most are silent.  (as they say in India "beg in silence, starve in silence")

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 12/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, Reboot said:

From what I have seen of Manila (lived a month there), it's best a place to be endured when you're flying in our out of the country. Too crowded. Too much traffic. Too much pollution. And the poverty you see there just feels a lot worse. Young children sniffing chemicals. Piles of small children sleeping in the street. Basura everywhere. The other big city I've stayed at, Cebu City, is much to be preferred. My wife doesn't understand why the poorest Manilenos don't just move out to the provinces where they can at least fish or farm.

It all depends on what area of the NCR you are at. Some nice areas, and there are a growing number of nice areas, do a fairly good job of getting the basura picked up. You can see a significant difference between different parts of the NCR since it really is a large metro area with many different political districts with different leadership. My most recent visit with my wife and daughter we spent more time in the NCR than I had ever spent before. I now have a better opinion of Manila. Yes, it suffers from everything you say, but there are nicer area's where those problems you listed are minimal. Except for traffic of course. But using Grab instead of taxi's has also made that part of my visit better.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

But using Grab instead

I tried that method once. It was touch and go when the judge handed down the sentence. 

• Haha 3

oldutot
Posted
Posted

What affluences are  there . it's dirty, gritty, I love the place. It's reminds me old time NYC, BEANTOWN, Emerald city Seattle.

The city reflects my life style, at one time.  My old stomping grounds has gone soft, But Manila keeps on ticking.

Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, oldutot said:

What affluences are  there . it's dirty, gritty, I love the place. It's reminds me old time NYC, BEANTOWN, Emerald city Seattle.

The city reflects my life style, at one time.  My old stomping grounds has gone soft, But Manila keeps on ticking.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dang Joe, you may be retired but you're still active!  We need to hook up someday, chase the hot women and the cold beer.  
My warmest regards to you and your family.  Respectfully Jake  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, oldutot said:

What affluences are  there

I hear what your saying Old. But like New York, the affluent don't live in areas like that. They live in swanky subdivisions where the riff raff are kept out. My example would be BF homes near my house. Almost 800 hectares of housing with restricted access. It has its own shops, stores and mini malls. And if those that live there want to go out the traffic doesn't worry them. They have big vans with drivers and care givers for the kids, they just sit in the back and surf the web or watch movies on their DVD player. :hystery: 

• Like 2