Miss Universe

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, bows00 said:

What??  I don't believe the response or the intentions of this thread.  She is a Filipina and a beaut… period.  The Philippines has developed a trend to win beauty contests -- and for reason.  Filipina's are the most beautiful creatures on the planet.  

I only hope this doesn't entice more eligible foreigners to come here... it's no longer a secret.  

Sorry, but much too much of a generalisation for me

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

The Philippines may have claimed her as their own ( I can understand that of course, and fair play to them), but the fact is, she is NOT a Filipina. Her mother is.

Nearly as daft as calling a certain President Obama 'black', when clearly his mother is Caucasian. 

It fits an agenda... but please don't insult our intelligence, eh.  

• Like 2

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

Since we now have a precedent, why can’t a Filipina (born and raised in the Philippines) with an American dad and a Filipina mom, represent the USA in the next Miss Universe?  It would definitely give the USA a fighting chance. :tiphat:

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Perhaps she could represent Scotland next year.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Since we now have a precedent, why can’t a Filipina (born and raised in the Philippines) with an American dad and a Filipina mom, represent the USA in the next Miss Universe?  It would definitely give the USA a fighting chance. :tiphat:

I think there are some who have competed in various contests.

A few days ago my wife told me there is something a bit like that.  A full blooded Filipina whose parents are American citizens was competing and/or won something.  My wife is asleep so I googled and found something interesting but not directly related:

http://www.missfilipinaintl.com/

They get Filipinas from all over the world to compete and you only have to be 1/4 Filipino!

Here is the weird part.  The last contest in July was held at the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center.  That is my high school auditorium!  I was the last graduating class in 1974 and they had just opened this beautiful nice auditorium in 1973.  After the school closed (dwindling attendance) they sold the property piece meal, and the Performing Arts Center was born.  I had season tickets for Broadway shows done there back in the 80s, and it was quite nice then.  I think they have kept it up well as it is still a popular venue.  Wow, 45+ years old now and I still think of it as new!

Ramble over  :-)

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looking back to when the Philippines started entering the main beauty competitions not one Miss Philippines has been full blown Filipino. Usually a mixture of German, Spannish, Pakistani and a few other nations. 

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Looking back to when the Philippines started entering the main beauty competitions not one Miss Philippines has been full blown Filipino. Usually a mixture of German, Spannish, Pakistani and a few other nations. 

It's a brave man who calls the Filipina contestants mongrels!    :tongue:

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Or our children ? 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

In the canine World mongrels are the stronger breed, and in the human World it would appear mixed race are the prettiest. Unless it's an Aboriginal and Pygmy probably. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Or our children ? 

Ah, you've met my son! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1