Cataract Surgery/ Eye Exams

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Well its finally got to the point that my left eye is getting to foggy to see well. Like that eye is looking thru smoke and halos around lights, even some double vision. The right eye is fine with no problems. All the classic sign of cataract. Anyone know of a good Dr in the Cebu area to get an opinion and surgery if needed? I wonder what that would cost to get the eye done here in PI? Thanks in advance.  :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

B-I-L was just at a clinic in Laguna.  They asked for Php 102,000.  I'm not sure it that was one or both eyes.  Doesn't really matter at this point because he said that is way to high and is searching for another eye clinic.

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, roddavis said:

Well its finally got to the point that my left eye is getting to foggy to see well. Like that eye is looking thru smoke and halos around lights, even some double vision. The right eye is fine with no problems. All the classic sign of cataract. Anyone know of a good Dr in the Cebu area to get an opinion and surgery if needed? I wonder what that would cost to get the eye done here in PI? Thanks in advance.  :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

Its been a few years and I can’t recall his name. US trained (Philadelphia - Wills or Temple Uni grad) and practiced there as well for over 20 years. His office is in Chung Hua Medical Arts Center, top floor to the left as you’re facing the building and on the front (parking lot) side.

I paid a total of 1,400 pesos for treatment of a severe eye infection - he removed a very small splinter from my eye (done in his office) and gave me the meds (also had to buy antibiotic eye drops for 400 pesos). Included was 2 follow up visits. He also did a full eye exam including checking for glaucoma.

You can also try the Center for Sight on Osmena Blvd - affiliated with Cebu Doctor’s Hospital. It’s a modern facility and per a friend, the prices for lasik were reasonable (base cost 2 years ago was 44k for both eyes), treatment was good and he felt the Doc’s were competent. 

Hope it all works out well for you - keep us posted as I’m sure others here may face the issue as you at some point in the future. 

roddavis
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gator said:

Its been a few years and I can’t recall his name. US trained (Philadelphia - Wills or Temple Uni grad) and practiced there as well for over 20 years. His office is in Chung Hua Medical Arts Center, top floor to the left as you’re facing the building and on the front (parking lot) side.

I paid a total of 1,400 pesos for treatment of a severe eye infection - he removed a very small splinter from my eye (done in his office) and gave me the meds (also had to buy antibiotic eye drops for 400 pesos). Included was 2 follow up visits. He also did a full eye exam including checking for glaucoma.

You can also try the Center for Sight on Osmena Blvd - affiliated with Cebu Doctor’s Hospital. It’s a modern facility and per a friend, the prices for lasik were reasonable (base cost 2 years ago was 44k for both eyes), treatment was good and he felt the Doc’s were competent. 

Hope it all works out well for you - keep us posted as I’m sure others here may face the issue as you at some point in the future. 

Sounds like a winner. I'll put it on my list. Vision center that does lasik sounds like the most up to date ophthalmologists, instead of the usual that doesn't have much test equipment available, I was not impressed with those that wave a lense in front of your eye asking which one is better. Not what I am used to.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

If you Philhealth they will cover quite a bit of the cost.  You can check with the various hospitals to see their charge.  Here is link to Perpetual Succor hospital in Cebu City.  This is an older hospital but I received good care there when I went there for kidney stones.  Same level and quality of care that I received in the USA for identical problem at a fraction of the cost.   I was not able to copy/paste the text and had to take the screen shot.  Small print but maybe you can read it by zooming.

https://www.perpetualsuccorhospital.com/services/diagnostic-services/03.html

image.png

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, roddavis said:

Like that eye is looking thru smoke and halos around lights

Relax. Its just the smoke in the air from BBQs and burning rubbish. :cheersty: