Pick a Major?

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello

I’m wondering what, if any, degree from a local college/university is the most marketable?

The potential student is in her mid-20s and looking for an education beyond what she got in high school. She lives on Leyte and would likely attend school there while living with her family. 

It seems like everyone and their lost cousin are majoring in teaching or nursing or hotel management. 

Is there any degree that offers a reasonable chance at employment in a career that would allow for middle class living? Or, is it all just a “who do you know” crapshoot?

Thanks so much for any thoughts. 

Edited by northtoalaska
Spelling
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, northtoalaska said:

It seems like everyone and their lost cousin are majoring in teaching or nursing or hotel management. 

The three majors provide opportunities for overseas work.

Teaching - Potential employers for maids in Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. give preference for someone with a teaching degree to help their children with school homework and English.

Nursing - Overseas hospitals, nursing homes, clinics and as caregivers both for children and the elderly.  

Hotel Management - Workers for cruise lines, hotels and resorts.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, northtoalaska said:

middle class living

North, IMO she really need to decide, is she going to be an OFW and provide a middle class lifestyle for her family. Or Stay in country. If OFW JJ is right. Remain in country, lawyer, engineering, architecture or dentistry or medical doctor 

• Like 2

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

North, IMO she really need to decide, is she going to be an OFW and provide a middle class lifestyle for her family. Or Stay in country. If OFW JJ is right. Remain in country, lawyer, engineering, architecture or dentistry or medical doctor 

I’m guessing she’ll remain in the Philippines. I’m only tangentially involved. So, I don’t know the exact desires of the person. But, I got asked for my two cents. I said that I really didn’t know, but that I’d post the question on a forum with a ton of guys who know bunches more than me. 

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's not just the major. Look at the reputation of the college. My partner is doing her teacher training and to be honest I wouldn't wipe my proverbial with the certificate.

Looking at historical records very few that get churned out earn decent money unless in the public schools. Even then it's just over 15k peso.  The teachers in her private college earn less than 5k peso. Shocking but they sign up to it for the work and experience. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I'll just leave this here...

FTII alcohol.jpg

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Seems arse for elbow - I'd pick the major based on the skills/ability and the job follows afterwards.  Working backwards may not work out as hoped.  

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've been in the company of many philipino teachers and they all are broke ,its not a well paid job here 

My gf did her teaching degree then worked as a teacher she then had a spell in real estate before doing her masters at university 

She works for the government and has a salary of 30k pesos, the fact that her uncle has some serious political clout did help her get the job 

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Probably just English lol, easy enough to get 30k per month starting salary in a call center or online job, 1 promotion and she'll be on the same salary as a doctor before the doctor is even qualified.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Probably just English lol, easy enough to get 30k per month starting salary in a call center or online job, 1 promotion and she'll be on the same salary as a doctor before the doctor is even qualified.

Here in Dumaguete I have seen the figure18k for starting pay in a call center.My niece works online, teaching English, and has done call center work after graduation from university.It is good pay if you can cope with irate callers.