Have's and Have-not's in Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Jake made a comment about the poverty side of Manila in a previous post, in response, I see that most money is made on the backs of the poor, they have always been exploited the world over and will be continued to be so, it's the way this material world works.

You cannot compare current social attitudes in the Philippines with modern day England.  Even this is changing as the reliance on a service class to serve the more affluent and the rich slowly disappears.  One reason is the increasing cost for labor and the desire by Filipinos to go overseas for greater pay and potentially a better life for their families at home.

The comparison for the Philippines today would be during the Victorian period and the exploitation of the British colonies. The attitude then was "Manifest Destiny" which gave the whites god given rights over the less fortunate.  Never mind the colonies where the populations were treated like slaves.  Back in England the class distinction between those with money and the less fortunate was very wide.  The service class were subject to the exploitation by the upper class. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

You cannot compare current social attitudes in the Philippines with modern day England.  Even this is changing as the reliance on a service class to serve the more affluent and the rich slowly disappears.  One reason is the increasing cost for labor and the desire by Filipinos to go overseas for greater pay and potentially a better life for their families at home.

The comparison for the Philippines today would be during the Victorian period and the exploitation of the British colonies. The attitude then was "Manifest Destiny" which gave the whites god given rights over the less fortunate.  Never mind the colonies where the populations were treated like slaves.  Back in England the class distinction between those with money and the less fortunate was very wide.  The service class were subject to the exploitation by the upper class. 

Yes...in Victorian times.  The world has moved on since then but it seems attitudes in some places haven't.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I suppose many of us, and i include myself amongst this, baulk at rich people treating poor people badly in a poor country more than we would rich people treating poor people badly in a rich country?  

Wherever we go in the world there are haves and have nots but the problem is when the two groups interact together regularly and much more closely than they would in other places.  And, when the haves don't need to have that much to be one of the haves such as here.  We have a saying in the UK - You can take the man out of (insert any UK city) but you cannot take (city name) out of the man!

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I see it here all the time here.  I always kind of attributed it to the Spanish colonial period - the peons,  and the dismissive attitude towards them.  I know it is more popular here to blame the US but most of what I see, I think, is more of the Spanish colonial influence.  

When I security guard opens the door for me I always say 'thank you sir'... and always get funny looks ha ha

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I see it here all the time here.  I always kind of attributed it to the Spanish colonial period - the peons,  and the dismissive attitude towards them.  I know it is more popular here to blame the US but most of what I see, I think, is more of the Spanish colonial influence.  

When I security guard opens the door for me I always say 'thank you sir'... and always get funny looks ha ha

Whenever traffic is backed up for miles..kilometers..it's usually one of 4 reasons.

1. Traffic accident.

2. Funeral procession.

3. Fiesta time.

4. Parades for some kind of school or something..balloons tied off to the cars included. 

These kinds of things might have been considered normal traditional behavior back when oxes were pulling carts, but nowadays people need to get to work on time.:angry_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

5. Police directing traffic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Whenever traffic is backed up for miles..kilometers..it's usually one of 4 reasons.......

These kinds of things might have been considered normal traditional behavior back when oxes were pulling carts, but nowadays people need to get to work on time.

Thank you Arizona for pointing out historically, some of the cultures imbedded into the Philippines as the result of foreign invaders.  One of the ancient Spanish culture is the ritual called penitencia.  And it definitely affects traffic during the Holy Week.  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1