Have's and Have-not's in Philippines

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I see it here all the time here.  I always kind of attributed it to the Spanish colonial period - the peons,  and the dismissive attitude towards them.  I know it is more popular here to blame the US but most of what I see, I think, is more of the Spanish colonial influence.  

The Spanish ruined almost everything wherever they went.

graham59
Posted
Posted

God only knows what it was like BEFORE the Spanish arrived though (well,  according to their god anyway).  :biggrin:

eskimo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You cannot compare current social attitudes in the Philippines with modern day England.

I never did?

13 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The comparison for the Philippines today would be during the Victorian period and the exploitation of the British colonies.

That is the comparison I was making, it was only after the !st and 2nd World Wars that the lower classes in UK started to demand justice and rights, prior to that in1800's-1900's they were treated as badly and exploited as any overseas colonies.

In many ways the Filipino communities I have met remind me of my time growing up after the 2nd world war.

Every working class family pulled together and shared what little they had, a time when you could leave your doors open,

( most people had nothing worth stealing anyway) when you knew your neighbours and had a mutual trust for each other.

Days that will never come back....."The good old days" in some ways it was!

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

On my visits to the Philippines I did too notice that there was no please and thank you, and when Emma came here I had to pull her up a few times about saying thank you, maybe it’s a different culture thing but you can’t beat good manners ,

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I remember well getting bathed in a tin bath on the kitchen floor... or sometimes even the large 'Belfast' kitchen sink, back in the 50s.  

Water was heated in a 'copper'. 

Naturally the toilet was outside in the yard of our two up two down terrace house. 

The we went to live in comparative luxury in Malaya, back in 1955.  -  Had this amazing thing called a 'shower' ! 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Gary D said:

5. Police directing traffic.

You've noticed that too huh? That's what my gf and I always say to each other when we come up to a clogged intersection, and it's usually true.:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, stevewool said:

maybe it’s a different culture thing but you can’t beat good manners ,

Well thats your perspective. If the culture does not say , please or thank you then you're only thinking in your culture ways so is there any good manners to debate here because its not the UK. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well thats your perspective. If the culture does not say , please or thank you then you're only thinking in your culture ways so is there any good manners to debate here because its not the UK. 

I think here the local culture does include manners how ever seldom now are they expressed. 

I notice filipino friends and family of my partner always express appreciation, how ever open a mall door for someone, slow the car for a pedestrian to cross and rarely does one get an acknowledgment. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

I think here the local culture does include manners how ever seldom now are they expressed. 

I notice filipino friends and family of my partner always express appreciation, how ever open a mall door for someone, slow the car for a pedestrian to cross and rarely does one get an acknowledgment. 

I greet a lot of Filipino guests for condos I manage and I think everyone of them have said thank you so it might depend on the situation. 

• Like 3