Have's and Have-not's in Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 1/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, graham59 said:

Glad I don't have to work as hard, for as long, and for as little as a 'lazy'  Filipina in Hong Kong.  :smile:

I didn't actually say Filipinas in Hong Kong were lazy,  I meant people in general in Hong Kong (locals) - I guess Gratefuled misunderstood my post.

My wife as a Domestic Helper in Hong Kong and I know how hard most of them work.  :smile:

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 1/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, Gratefuled said:

Well, there are a lot of Filipinas in Hong Kong but it just may be as you say, lazy. 

I probably should have worded my post more clearly - I meant people in general rather than specifically Filipinas - mostly locals.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I probably should have worded my post more clearly - I meant people in general rather than specifically Filipinas - mostly locals.

I only know of one Filipina who is lazy..my GF. Just kidding. :laugh: I didn't think your post was derogatory at all and I don't think Gratefuled did either.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Example of why I say my wife is lazy. I bought her a hair dryer but she doesn't use it to dry her hair (lazy).

Instead she uses it to thaw out frozen food. 

( just kidding) My wife caught me typing this. 

You should buy your wife a new microwave on her next birthday!!!:crack-up:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

We have one

I just wanted to make a joke of it. 

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

We have one

I just wanted to make a joke of it. 

Me too. I guess we don't get each others sarcasm. My GF's mom is our housekeeper from a very poor province in Sorsogon. She was afraid of using the microwave at first. Very funny. Then when I got the pressure cooker she wouldn't go near IT for a long time. Now she's fine with it.

We don't cook with the microwave..just defrost and heat up leftovers or coffee cups. And popcorn!:tiphat:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
On 1/5/2019 at 1:07 AM, Arizona Kid said:

To thaw the food of course!

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

To thaw the food of course!

I also put my toaster oven on top of the microwave. The toaster oven gets used less than the microwave. It's only use so far is for reheating leftover pizza!:smile:

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, JJReyes said:

You cannot compare current social attitudes in the Philippines with modern day England.  Even this is changing as the reliance on a service class to serve the more affluent and the rich slowly disappears.  One reason is the increasing cost for labor and the desire by Filipinos to go overseas for greater pay and potentially a better life for their families at home.

The comparison for the Philippines today would be during the Victorian period and the exploitation of the British colonies. The attitude then was "Manifest Destiny" which gave the whites god given rights over the less fortunate.  Never mind the colonies where the populations were treated like slaves.  Back in England the class distinction between those with money and the less fortunate was very wide.  The service class were subject to the exploitation by the upper class. 

JJ, I’m not familiar with Victorian period “manifest destiny”. My memory is that “manifest destiny” is a 19th century belief held by the United States that its settlers were destined to expand across North America. This was a bitterly contested concept at the time with many prominent Americans such as Abraham Lincoln rejecting it. This is the first time I’ve ever heard or read that it had anything to do with the color of one’s skin. I would like to learn more about Victorian period manifest destiny and would also like to learn more of any reference to skin color. 

I should have been more precise. When I referred to “Victorian period manifest destiny” I was referring to the term being used to describe a policy that was part of Victorian England. I am not aware of any such policy, but always ready to learn.

Edited by nor cal mike
Clarify
  • Like 1