Have's and Have-not's in Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

JJ, I’m not familiar with Victorian period “manifest destiny”. My memory is that “manifest destiny” is a 19th century belief held by the United States that its settlers were destined to expand across North America. This was a bitterly contested concept at the time with many prominent Americans such as Abraham Lincoln rejecting it. This is the first time I’ve ever heard or read that it had anything to do with the color of one’s skin. I would like to learn more about Victorian period manifest destiny and would also like to learn more of any reference to skin color. 

I should have been more precise. When I referred to “Victorian period manifest destiny” I was referring to the term being used to describe a policy that was part of Victorian England. I am not aware of any such policy, but always ready to learn.

You are correct.  I googled the phrase.  "Manifest Destiny" was a United States concept to justify westward expansion even if it meant killing Native Americans and Mexicans in the process.  I believe the British used a somewhat similar attitude to justify their conquest and exploitation of native populations as they established colonies.  Definitely, the Spanish had the attitude of giving the natives religion while everything else belonged to the government.  That includes making the natives their slaves so as to mine gold and silver to ship back to Spain.

My wife and I returned to the United States a few days ago after spending 5 weeks in Mexico City.  My plan is to rejoin the forum soon.  Couldn't do It in Mexico City because the WiFi was iffy.

• Like 3

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

You are correct.  I googled the phrase.  "Manifest Destiny" was a United States concept to justify westward expansion even if it meant killing Native Americans and Mexicans in the process.  I believe the British used a somewhat similar attitude to justify their conquest and exploitation of native populations as they established colonies.  Definitely, the Spanish had the attitude of giving the natives religion while everything else belonged to the government.  That includes making the natives their slaves so as to mine gold and silver to ship back to Spain.

My wife and I returned to the United States a few days ago after spending 5 weeks in Mexico City.  My plan is to rejoin the forum soon.  Couldn't do It in Mexico City because the WiFi was iffy.

Sorry JJ, can’t go political. Hope your trip went well. Looking forward to your insightful post.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

One of the interesting things I found whilst delving into my family history was the subject of slavery 

During the expansion to thebAmerican colonies ,the Scottish nobility would sell their ordinary folk to ships captains whom in turn would sell them to the land owners in the colonies ,this was called indentured servant , the length of the service was measured in years of hard toil

Another interesting item was that coal miners and salt pan workers were considered to be the property of their employer, you could not leave your job even if they has no work for you , this was slavery in another form 

The law was changed in 1804 to allow miners to go and find better job's 

My 7 times great grandparents were owned by the coal mine , after 1804 their heirs spread out around the globe.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

One of the interesting things I found whilst delving into my family history was the subject of slavery 

During the expansion to thebAmerican colonies ,the Scottish nobility would sell their ordinary folk to ships captains whom in turn would sell them to the land owners in the colonies ,this was called indentured servant , the length of the service was measured in years of hard toil

Another interesting item was that coal miners and salt pan workers were considered to be the property of their employer, you could not leave your job even if they has no work for you , this was slavery in another form 

The law was changed in 1804 to allow miners to go and find better job's 

My 7 times great grandparents were owned by the coal mine , after 1804 their heirs spread out around the globe.

About the same for the Irish, I can relate to your story the way I was raised.

• Like 2