No vegetables?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Never considered cooking my lettuce and l find them better fresh :whistling:

Never tried cooked lettuce. Nobody in my house has gotten sick from eating it fresh either. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

She used to use the Magic Sarap package with all of our food but she stopped when she Googled MSG.

Ms and all MSG have been banned in this house for 10+ years and you know what? no moans from them :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ms and all MSG have been banned in this house for 10+ years and you know what? no moans from them :thumbsup:

I have a suspicion that the major fast food provider in the Phils uses MSG in their fried chicken and spaghetti meals. It covers up the bad taste if it's not fresh, and one night my GF and I noticed a not to fresh taste near the bones of the chicken we bought from them.:sad:

DavidK
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Never tried cooked lettuce. Nobody in my house has gotten sick from eating it fresh either. 

I've never considered eating it, cooked or otherwise :no:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I just asked my GF if she uses MSG when she cooks it and she said not anymore. So I think we are getting used to it without it. She used to use the Magic Sarap package with all of our food but she stopped when she Googled MSG.

There is no credible science to the MSG scare. Don't buy into the hype.  It was more to do with racism than science. MSG is in tons of American food, with no ill effects.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

MSG is a flavour enhancer that I personally don't like to use. I much prefer using salt, not too much, spices and herbs for flavouring. I obviously use some products with MSG as an ingredient such as soy sauce which I use in certain dishes but these are few and far between. Magic Sarap or similar I will not have in the house and I don't usually eat at junk food establishments.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Never considered cooking my lettuce and l find them better fresh :whistling:

It's okay to eat fresh vegetables so long as you know the source.  Supermarket purchases are probably okay because they contract with large growers.  It's the same with restaurant chains.  What about a nearby open market where local farmers sell their produce?  I would be cautious.

The bacteria laden fresh vegetables actually hits more affluent communities.  The women would eat fresh green salads as part of a weight control program.  One contaminated source and it's off to the hospital  followed by high dosages of expensive medication.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The bacteria laden fresh vegetables actually hits more affluent communities.  The women would eat fresh green salads as part of a weight control program.  One contaminated source and it's off to the hospital  followed by high dosages of expensive medication.

In my opinion for if we use lettuce for an example. Would not matter where or what country it comes from. You wash it prior to eating. When I was a kid fertiliser was sheep shit because my father was driving sheep trucks and had access to holding yards where it was plenty full.  Now could this be any worce that some manufacture fertilizer? I doubt it.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2018 at 12:07 AM, JJReyes said:

It is okay to consume vegetables in the Philippines so long as it is not raw or fresh. The reason, unless you personally know the source, is small farmers still use night soil and unprocessed animal waste as fertilizer. The problem is similar to the e-coli found in US Romaine lettuce. The suspicion is wild animals wander into the fields at night and their droppings include the e-coli bacteria. You may have observed that most vegetables consumed in the Philippines is part of a soup dish or stir fried. The heat hopefully destroys any bacteria. The lower middle class and up have moved towards a western diet, but the poor still rely on dried fish and vegetables. Physical size and height probably comes from the consumption of plant and animal protein rather than vegetables. You can see that many young Filipinos and Filipinas are growing taller compared to their parents as their diet mimics the West. Same thing in Japan and now China.

Not only growing taller but fatter.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

MSG is actually produced by fermenting cassava.