No vegetables?

peterfe
Posted
Posted

It shouldn't be a problem for the average foreigner with a Filipina wife or girl friend; I imagine they'd generally be happy to add vegetables to the meals to please him, or even serve up Irish stew, ratatouille or whatever, if he taught her how to make it.

After some thought, I've realised why these non-veggie eating children and adults aren't all smitten with scurvy. It's probably because they mostly seem to consume these "milk drinks". I have Bear Brand in front of me now, and I can see it contains all the vitamins, iron, zinc, calcium, etc. (plus a whole load of chemicals). I sometimes wondered in my younger days whether a person could eat nothing but say, potato crisps all his life as long as he took all the necessary vitamins and minerals in the form of pills. Never really found the answer to that one... Maybe I'll find it here in the Philippines: you can just eat junk food all day as long as you also have a glass of Bear Brand! 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I nagged my wife for years to eat more vegetables.She finally started eating them after the doctor told her to.Luckily my daughter will eat certain kinds of vegetables.Vodka is made from potatoes so does that count?

• Haha 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We consume many vegetables at our house, including many purely vegetarian dishes like soups and curries etc. My partner has always eaten lots of veggie food, harder to get her son to eat them apart from a few favorites he has, he's 20.

MSG, sarap or otherwise is totally banned from my house.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yes, I do sometimes nag the Mrs about including plenty of veggies in our youngster's meals... and MUCH less sugar. 

When I first retired to the Phils I noticed that a lot of relatively young people were missing teeth while talking to them. At first I thought that it was because so much sugar is in their diet. Later my gf said that meth use had a lot to do with it. Probably a combination of the two..or not.:mellow:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gary D said:

More likely the msg that brightens the taste

Yeah, the umami flavor is important.  I find it funny that so many people freak out about msg in Asian food, but completely overlook it in Doritos, chik-fil-a, KFC, Campbells soup...

49dd3c1ed40a636fd84d101d6f963819.jpg

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

When I first retired to the Phils I noticed that a lot of relatively young people were missing teeth while talking to them. At first I thought that it was because so much sugar is in their diet. Later my gf said that meth use had a lot to do with it. Probably a combination of the two..or not.:mellow:

More likely babies and small kids left to suck on sweet drinks... followed later by lots of 'candy', soft drinks, and other sweetened snacks. 

My first Filipina wife had several teeth missing at the front, and she always said it was down to this. 

There does seem to be some improvement now, but maybe that's temporary, what with all the fast foods being consumed in recent years.

My UK-born  25 year-old son (half-Filipino), as far as I can remember, has never had to have any sort of dental work carried out. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think also the poorer people only have extraction as it's cheaper.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

That's true.  Up here in Pangasinan ... 'public' dentist (ie for poor people) extraction = p150 per tooth.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2018 at 12:07 AM, JJReyes said:

It is okay to consume vegetables in the Philippines so long as it is not raw or fresh.

Never considered cooking my lettuce and l find them better fresh :whistling:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2018 at 7:08 PM, Gary D said:

More likely the msg that brightens the taste

I just asked my GF if she uses MSG when she cooks it and she said not anymore. So I think we are getting used to it without it. She used to use the Magic Sarap package with all of our food but she stopped when she Googled MSG.