I can't believe it, but apparently it's true

Recommended Posts

Posted

I''m an expat American who's retired an living in "Thailand. I contracted to have a townhouse built for my filipina girl friend in Manila(Cavite). Since I built my own wood-frame house in the States in 1988, I assume wood construction materials haven't changed much since then.  This is apparently not the case in the Philippines. Instead of pressure-treated wood, it's kiln-dried wood. No problem with that. However, in designing a wooden balcony to attach to the townhouse, I made scores of contacts(mostly filling out on-line forms and asking questions) to hardware stores, building supply firms and construction materials companies to get prices. The good news is that the few prices I got  are for 2" x 4" x (various lengths). The bad news is that I also need 2" x 6" x 8',10' and 12' lengths and no one seems to stock them. If you know any shops or companies I can contact, I'd really appreciate it. It's driving me crazy and there is NO substitute for a 2" x 6" piece of wood.

I will gladly follow up any and all suggestions!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I've never seen 2" x 6" wood here, to be honest it's not that common even in Australia.

What I've seen when heavier free standing supports (like verandah or balcony) supports are needed here in smaller projects is metal reinforced concrete, rather than a wood upright they set up a metal tube, put a metal reinforcement frame into it and fill it by bucket with concrete (which tends to be mixed by hand close by).  They just keep going until it's high enough and then remove the metal tube after enough time has passed that it's dry.  Then they may (or may not) render it.

 

I think you're going to struggle getting it, if vertical concrete poles won't work can you substitute metal frame in the heavy portions?

 

 

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
Posted
5 hours ago, thailend19 said:

If you know any shops or

you didn't get the last message I sent you with the price of 2x6x12s ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

you didn't get the last message I sent you with the price of 2x6x12s ?

Nope, sorry. Please resend!

2 hours ago, scott h said:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Did you send it again? I just received an empty message from you. Can you send it direct to my e-mail?

It's  NOT PERMITTED 

Thanks!

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
SIGH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I've never seen 2" x 6" wood here, to be honest it's not that common even in Australia.

What I've seen when heavier free standing supports (like verandah or balcony) supports are needed here in smaller projects is metal reinforced concrete, rather than a wood upright they set up a metal tube, put a metal reinforcement frame into it and fill it by bucket with concrete (which tends to be mixed by hand close by).  They just keep going until it's high enough and then remove the metal tube after enough time has passed that it's dry.  Then they may (or may not) render it.

 

I think you're going to struggle getting it, if vertical concrete poles won't work can you substitute metal frame in the heavy portions?

 

 

I've never worked with concrete, but I suspect unless, as you say, you set up a metal box frame, supported by poles(10 feet above the ground) and devise a way of pouring the concrete into a tube and forcing it up 10 feet into that frame(which butts against the concrete wall  of the townhouse), it's the only way to create a balcony floor. Then, while the concrete is drying, insert right angled poles at the floor corners(wood or  aluminum).

Wood is so much easier to work with and a lot faster and less dangerous. Agree?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted
5 hours ago, GeoffH said:

 

I've never worked with concrete, but I suspect unless, as you say, you set up a metal box frame, supported by poles(10 feet above the ground) and devise a way of pouring the concrete into a tube and forcing it up 10 feet into that frame(which butts against the concrete wall  of the townhouse), it's the only way to create a balcony floor. Then, while the concrete is drying, insert right angled poles at the floor corners(wood or  aluminum).

Wood is so much easier to work with and a lot faster and less dangerous. Agree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted

Can't be too hard to find 4 x 6 if you choose the right search term. :smile:

...................................................................................

Thank you for your email. Yes we do have available 2” x 6” size Timber here in our Manila Warehouse.


May I ask if you have a particular wood species that you need for this and for what application are you going to use it? We have several wood species available on stock and which can be used in different applications.


Are you based here in the Philippines also or in Australia?

 

Best regards,

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
Posted
9 hours ago, thailend19 said:

Nope, sorry. Please resend!

2x4x12 are 480 pesos ea 2x6x12 are 720 peso ea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...