I can't believe it, but apparently it's true

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Yes he is right. Here some species do indeed fly, others crawl and even find ways through concrete.

Why is pretty much all ex pats build in concrete, many of us would love to use timber but not worth the future problems. 

Think carefully before using timber. 

At my house they found their way through concrete to attack kitchen cabinets and plywood ceiling. Gradually replacing the ceiling with HardiFlex. It's not hollow blocks but rather solid concrete with rebar. Either there are cracks in the concrete or they had wings.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Either there are cracks in the concrete or they had wings.

Im on the 22nd floor and the back of my wardrobe is eaten out so I guess mine came by air. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

There's a reason that steel reinforced concrete is king here. Your issue is not just finding materials that are not common here but the skilled labor to work on American style construction. Whether for the initial build or repairs in the future, sooner to later you will need Filipino labor.

I lived in the NW part of the US where wood is king and I love wood. But I wouldn't seriously consider building with it here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thailend19
Posted
Posted

What's the source of the steel? Company and contact info?

Mick
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, thailend19 said:

Will ask my builder... But where I live in Cainta, there are many wholesale steel/building supplies shops. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My limited understanding of termites is that the eggs hatch as a flying insect which swam to disperse then shed their wings to become the crawling insect.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Gary D said:

My limited understanding of termites is that the eggs hatch as a flying insect which swam to disperse then shed their wings to become the crawling insect.

I live in an older house..half wood..half cement. Once a year or so we get the swarm of winged termites by the thousands flying around our kitchen light. Hold up a large pan of water just under the light bulb and they will all commit suicide. It works.

thailend19
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

Will ask my builder... But where I live in Cainta, there are many wholesale steel/building supplies shops. 

Since I live in Thailand and have to do my scouting, planning, diagramming, etc. by long distance, before turning it over to my GF's filipino brother, I need names and contact(preferably e-mail) info so I can ask questions

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, thailend19 said:

Sibonga Construction is worth considering. They have a well-done website. There are other similar companies, one of which we employed to build the Dauis Demple. I'd use Sibonga if I had a do-over.

graham59
Posted
Posted

May I recommend you leave it to the locals to build it THEIR way.... or don't bother at all, IF you wish to retain your sanity. 

Yes, you may refer back to this post any time you like in the future.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2