I'm getting mixed signals from my stepson about his education.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

He is 18 now and his plans are to continue studying here in the Philippines. He wants to attend Ateneo University here and study engineering. His grades are all good enough to pass entrance exam however I want him to attend a university in the states. I have to wonder why. Is it a girl, is it to be with his friends? Maybe he doesn't want to be where he has no relatives or friends. 

My wife will be able to join me in the states soon but I don't want to separate her from her only son. Wife has agreed to be with me in California. She has her parents blessing. It's going to be a hard decision for the two of them. I suppose I could continue to live part time in the states and part time here but I'm tired of traveling. 

Any suggestions?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

He is 18 now and his plans are to continue studying here in the Philippines. He wants to attend Ateneo University here and study engineering. His grades are all good enough to pass entrance exam however I want him to attend a university in the states. I have to wonder why. Is it a girl, is it to be with his friends? Maybe he doesn't want to be where he has no relatives or friends. 

My wife will be able to join me in the states soon but I don't want to separate her from her only son. Wife has agreed to be with me in California. She has her parents blessing. It's going to be a hard decision for the two of them. I suppose I could continue to live part time in the states and part time here but I'm tired of traveling. 

Any suggestions?

Hard decision. Medical students who become Doctors here in the Phils,will only be qualified to become a nurse in Ca. Until they pass certain tests and requirements. Might be the same for engineers.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Might be the same for engineers.

I think it is easier for an engineer to establish a track record of accomplishment and get jobs, without red tape.  We have a friend who is a PH educated engineer.  He worked in Oman for 8 years, then returned here and didn't work while they built a house.  He planned to stay here and get a job, but was offered a position in Singapore, which he took.  He was there about a year when Amazon Singapore recruited him.   They like him so much they offered him a choice of several cities in the U.S. to work.  They are now living in Hayward, California.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

He wants to attend Ateneo University

My wife and I talked about this type of thing just the other day. Education in the states might be better, and I am sure it is. But going to Ateneo is like going to Harvard or Yale. Its not so much the education you get, its the life long connections you make. If a young man gets an engineering degree in the states for example, he MIGHT be seen as an upstart Kano (if he chooses to live here that is), but if he attends a local school he could be a bad engineer but still have connections for the rest of his life. If we look at the Presidents cabinet look how many were either his class mates or classmates of each other.

Just a thought to throw into the mix

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted

And don't forget the cost factor?  Not only the tuition but room and board.  Unless you have grants and or scholarships, the costs in the states is substantially higher than the Philippines.  As it stands now, our 13 year old daughter would like to attend college here and return to the states for work.  Even not knowing for sure what she will major in.  Of course at her age all that can change,...several times:tiphat: 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, scott h said:

My wife and I talked about this type of thing just the other day. Education in the states might be better, and I am sure it is. But going to Ateneo is like going to Harvard or Yale. Its not so much the education you get, its the life long connections you make. If a young man gets an engineering degree in the states for example, he MIGHT be seen as an upstart Kano (if he chooses to live here that is), but if he attends a local school he could be a bad engineer but still have connections for the rest of his life. If we look at the Presidents cabinet look how many were either his class mates or classmates of each other.

Just a thought to throw into the mix

How much is tuition at Ateneo?  Give or take a little.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:
3 hours ago, scott h said:

How much is tuition at Ateneo?  Give or take a little.

Not sure of Ateneo but DLSU averages Php 115,000~

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Not sure of Ateneo but DLSU averages Php 115,000~

Annually?  That is cheap.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Annually?  That is cheap.

I think that would be a semister.

http://enroll.dlsu.edu.ph/dlsu/view_fees_table

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

I'd of thought a degree from Ateneo would be as good as or better than a degree from an average US college when applying for jobs in the Philippines, obviously a different story if he decides he wants to work in the US.

• Like 1