Looking for Dashcam Suggestions.

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Hi. I recently got a new pickup truck and am now shopping for a good Dashcam. I have discovered that there are a gazillion models available here and on Amazon. As a result, kind of in dashcam data overload mode. Too much info. So, I am looking for some personal suggestions from the experts here.

I am open to any and all brands, models and price ranges. I  do, however, want a few specific features, which include:

1.) Front and rear cam (rear cam waterproof or as water resistant as possible).

2.) Good HD video quality.

3.) Backup camera and sensors.

4.) Parking mode protection would be good but not essential.

5.) G-Sensor (or G-Shock or whatever the seller calls it) - The feature that automatically locks footage on an impact.

6.) Compatibility with large SD cards.

7.) Automatic overwriting.

I am not sure if I want one of the rear-view mirror type units or a standalone camera product that fits under or near the rear-view mirror. Any suggestions or thoughts you could share would be much appreciated.

I guess I should also say that the rear cam has to be mounted outside the vehicle, as the dealer installed some pretty dark tint for the rear window (thus I dont think the rear cam will display too much at night).

Again, any ideas or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. If allowed, links to Lazada or Amazon pages also appreciated (again, only if allowed here, though.)

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Hi. I recently got a new pickup truck and am now shopping for a good Dashcam. I have discovered that there are a gazillion models available here and on Amazon. As a result, kind of in dashcam data overload mode. Too much info. So, I am looking for some personal suggestions from the experts here.

I am open to any and all brands, models and price ranges. I  do, however, want a few specific features, which include:

1.) Front and rear cam (rear cam waterproof or as water resistant as possible).

2.) Good HD video quality.

3.) Backup camera and sensors.

4.) Parking mode protection would be good but not essential.

5.) G-Sensor (or G-Shock or whatever the seller calls it) - The feature that automatically locks footage on an impact.

6.) Compatibility with large SD cards.

7.) Automatic overwriting.

I am not sure if I want one of the rear-view mirror type units or a standalone camera product that fits under or near the rear-view mirror. Any suggestions or thoughts you could share would be much appreciated.

I guess I should also say that the rear cam has to be mounted outside the vehicle, as the dealer installed some pretty dark tint for the rear window (thus I dont think the rear cam will display too much at night).

Again, any ideas or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. If allowed, links to Lazada or Amazon pages also appreciated (again, only if allowed here, though.)

Thanks a bunch!

I don't know your needs but what you want in a camera mounted outside your vehicle might be stolen.  

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I don't know your needs but what you want in a camera mounted outside your vehicle might be stolen.  

Yeah I guess that's a possibility. But, most of the rear cams are hidden underneath the chassis or blend in well with the license plate. So, I don't "think" it will be much of an issue. A potential thief wouldn't be able to get at it at my home. But, when out and about might be possible. I guess could spot weld the cam bolts or something. But, I am not too overly worried about it where I am. Of course, having said that, it might get stolen the very first day I have it. lol

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted

Really? Nobody owns a good dashcam they can recommend? I thought there would be more than a few. But, I guess not. Oh well, back to my research..

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

Really? Nobody owns a good dashcam they can recommend? I thought there would be more than a few. But, I guess not. Oh well, back to my research..

I own a dashcam (and in it's price range I think it's good) but it doesn't meet the criteria stated in your original post so I didn't mention it.  There are a couple of more expensive models in the range but this one gets good reviews on car camera web sites.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/viofo-updated-a119-v2-capacitor-novatek-car-gps-dash-camera-hd-2k-1440p-1296p-1080p-intl-i102567561-s102844330.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlistbrand.list.26.19526c33HWtQzG&search=1

Edited by GeoffH

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I own a dashcam (and in it's price range I think it's good) but it doesn't meet the criteria stated in your original post so I didn't mention it.

There are a couple of more expensive models in the range but this one gets good reviews on car camera web sites.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/viofo-updated-a119-v2-capacitor-novatek-car-gps-dash-camera-hd-2k-1440p-1296p-1080p-intl-i102567561-s102844330.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlistbrand.list.26.19526c33HWtQzG&search=1

Thanks. I will take a look.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JeSsDaDdY said:

I'm also interested in a new dashcam. I think the technology has changed since I bought mine. 

dashcam.jpg

• Haha 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 12/31/2018 at 1:52 PM, JeSsDaDdY said:

I've always wanted a dashcam so I bought one from Lazada. It was pretty cheap so what the hell. It came with some kind of memory card or something that I don't know how to use so I wasted my money. Even my son who is good at those things didn't know how to use it. I don't have fancy Iphones or even own a cell phone. Just a desk top. If I can find a dash cam that has a usb port I would be happy.:tongue: 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I've always wanted a dashcam so I bought one from Lazada. It was pretty cheap so what the hell. It came with some kind of memory card or something that I don't know how to use so I wasted my money. Even my son who is good at those things didn't know how to use it. I don't have fancy Iphones or even own a cell phone. Just a desk top. If I can find a dash cam that has a usb port I would be happy.:tongue: 

Surely it came with instructions? Insert memory card into card slot and power up.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Surely it came with instructions? Insert memory card into card slot and power up.

OK what card slot? The one on the camera? Did that. Took a drive with the camera and came home. No card slot on my desktop! Now what..ponder the situation and say WTF to myself. Where am I supposed to put the memory card? The garbage can is where it all went.:angry_80_anim_gif: