What is a "millennial" to you and yours?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

To me they're all just terms to catalogue groups of people to enforce some sort of lazy rigidity on the individuals in the group. I never liked US VP Dan Quayle but I'll never forget something he said about himself during his run for the VP slot, to the effect of, "Not everyone in the 60's grew their hair long and protested." And it's true. But you never see that side of the "Boomer" generation portrayed.

For a while, I was a Boomer. Then I read that I was an X'er. Now I'm back on the Boomer side of the street. Yeah, sure. I was 4 years old in the '67 Summer of Love and 6 when Woodstock dropped. Boomer? As if.

If I had to identify with a generation, I'd say I was a member of the Lost Generation that was too young to participate in Gen Boomer except as a number. We didn't have any causes. "Our" President wasn't shot in office, he shot the office. We didn't have peace and love, we had the SLA and the Weather Underground. We didn't go on surfin' safaris, we sat in our cars with our fathers on even or odd days, waiting for the queue for gasoline to move.

On the other hand, we had Led Zeppelin AND Donna Summer on the radio.

In the end, the terms are just a part of humanity's endless quest to classify things.

We humans do love our labels, as Gary Larson knew:

DhM2jLBU8AAw04D_01.jpg

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Ok ok.

My eldest son (aged 25) is a so-called 'millennial' then .

My two Filipino stepchildren are also 'millennials'.

All great young people, and successful in their chosen careers.  

As for myself, well, a child of the swinging 60s. Had the long hair. Bought the music.  Didn't take the drugs. 

I just refuse to be labelled... or grow old.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Only really the youngest millennials who grew up with social media. I'm 28, remember getting my 1st phone at about 12 (nokia 3310), got bebo and myspace when I was about 14 and then facebook took over when I was 16-17.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Millenials are born 1980-2000 (some charts say 1996).  After the millennials we have already had Gen Z and Gen Alpha.  

As for phone calls - anyone that knows me also knows there are at least 6 ways to contact me without calling ha ha.  Who uses the phone anymore?  I am a Gen X-er but embrace my millennial side 

I am from the "LOST GENERATION" meaning I don't know where or care how I'm classified. 

" I once was lost but now I'm found" 

Edited by Gratefuled
adding
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Back on topic. Deleted banter . 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Social media millenials  Funny thing when you look at the military returning from wars and getting spat upon by people who probably had a get out of jail free card.No difference really entitled little tw@ts,.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1