Newtown Plaza Hotel - Baguio

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We spent 4 nights in Baguio over the New Year, and on the 2nd we visited a new place worth mentioning, the Newtown Plaza Hotel.  We did not go in the hotel but it looks very nice.  They have a pool.  Must be heated?  It is a large complex sitting on a hillside across from the botanical gardens.  There is also a new event center going up across the street, but it is not quite done.

What we enjoyed were the restos.  They have a Gerry's,  Ramen Sora and Wood Fired Pizza that must have the same owner, as you can sit anywhere and order from all the menu's.  That was great for us as we were able to get pizza and chicken for the kids, while I got a crab mango roll and vegetable tempura.  In addition, in another area, they have some more eats including a buffet place and a burger place.

In crowded Baguio, the underground parking garage was a pleasure, and free!  It is not that big so I imagine it gets filled up on busy days.  Under the hotel lobby, they have a cheap arcade that the kids had fun in.  It only costs p50 per head for 2 hours and almost all the games are then free.  The problem was, many were not working, but enough for the kids to have fun.  The attendant was very up front about it and told us to look around before paying.  There were enough to keep the kids busy.  I think they are in process of getting all the used games they bought up and running, and they will probably raise the price later.

Our daughter Katy loves to sing now and was on the Karaoke machine for a while.  Here is a short clip!  It is not that clear but note the ending where she thanks her fans!  I'm not sure where she got that!

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We spent 4 nights in Baguio over the New Year, and on the 2nd we visited a new place worth mentioning, the Newtown Plaza Hotel.  We did not go in the hotel but it looks very nice.  They have a pool.  Must be heated?  It is a large complex sitting on a hillside across from the botanical gardens.  There is also a new event center going up across the street, but it is not quite done.

What we enjoyed were the restos.  They have a Gerry's,  Ramen Sora and Wood Fired Pizza that must have the same owner, as you can sit anywhere and order from all the menu's.  That was great for us as we were able to get pizza and chicken for the kids, while I got a crab mango roll and vegetable tempura.  In addition, in another area, they have some more eats including a buffet place and a burger place.

In crowded Baguio, the underground parking garage was a pleasure, and free!  It is not that big so I imagine it gets filled up on busy days.  Under the hotel lobby, they have a cheap arcade that the kids had fun in.  It only costs p50 per head for 2 hours and almost all the games are then free.  The problem was, many were not working, but enough for the kids to have fun.  The attendant was very up front about it and told us to look around before paying.  There were enough to keep the kids busy.  I think they are in process of getting all the used games they bought up and running, and they will probably raise the price later.

Our daughter Katy loves to sing now and was on the Karaoke machine for a while.  Here is a short clip!  It is not that clear but note the ending where she thanks her fans!  I'm not sure where she got that!

Couldn't get the video to play..too much lagging, but your daughter looks cute. Have been coming to the Phils on and off since 71 and have never been to Baguio. Boracay either. Might have to try it before I take the dirt nap. Was it cold there like they say? 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Couldn't get the video to play..too much lagging, but your daughter looks cute. Have been coming to the Phils on and off since 71 and have never been to Baguio. Boracay either. Might have to try it before I take the dirt nap. Was it cold there like they say? 

Cool, not cold, by my standards.  It was down to 14 c before we arrived but while we were there, maybe a low of 18-19.  We did not need jacket.

Go during an off peak time to avoid too much traffic and people.  Actually, the traffic was not bad in downtown on the 2nd.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We spent 4 nights in Baguio over the New Year, and on the 2nd we visited a new place worth mentioning, the Newtown Plaza Hotel. 

crab mango roll and vegetable tempura?

Wow, that's something deliciously unique and to chase it down with a cold one.  Excellent boots on the ground report!

Thank you Don.  You daughter by the way is destined to be another winner in the America's Got Talent show.

Respectfully Jake 

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We lived a block away from Newtown and watched the construction of the business complex and hotel. The condo's were still under construction when we left. We considered purchasing one of the condo's. We loved to eat at Rasa Pura and toured the hotel when it first opened. We wanted to stay there when we returned last fall but we were going to have family with us so an AirBnB worked out better for us.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jake said:

crab mango roll and vegetable tempura?

It's hard to find tempura batter in my neck of the woods. But when we find it we love it. Introduced my GF to tempura battered cauliflower. She loves it and said that even the burps taste good!:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's hard to find tempura batter in my neck of the woods. But when we find it we love it. Introduced my GF to tempura battered cauliflower. She loves it and said that even the burps taste good!:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

The tempura was not great.  The batter was a bit thin and the sweet potatoes, if that is what they were, were not sweet.  It still hit the spot.

The mango crag roll was very good and we had a marinated sashimi dish that was excellent.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

It's hard to find tempura batter in my neck of the woods. But when we find it we love it

Not hard to mix your own

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not hard to mix your own

Ok thanx..didn't think to google it.