Newbie question

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

I'm strongly thinking of moving to the Philippines. I've been there a couple times, once in Manila and the other in Bautista-Pangasinan Where would be a decent place to call home for a single guy with a SS retirement of $1800 a month be.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Angeles City has everything a Single guy could want but beaches. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

decent place

Welcome Hawg.

There are many, many, many topics addressing your question on the forum. Opinions pro and con on just about every location here in the Philippines.  But if you want our members to chime in with useful information you will need to fill in a few blanks for us.

1. Interests,,,,,,,,,,what do you plan to do in retirement

2. Health needs,,,,,,,,,,do you have health insurance that will work here. Will you need to be near a good hospital

3. Stable income,,,,,,,,,is your 1800 guaranteed, will you have an emergency nest egg.

as much info as you can provide will increase the quality of the answers you get. We are really not nosey :mocking:

But here is one thing you must consider, as a single man, you will most likely be on a tourist visa, which will have to be renewed periodically. That will be an automatic, continual reduction of your 1800 budget. 

Again, welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Interests....  I'm a pretty laid back guy. I like to sit outside having coffee while I read the paper.  I like to play golf,  I like walking around the Mall watching people, I'll go to a sports bar and watch sports and play some pool.

Health needs.....    I have some issues like Diabetes (type 2) controlled with diet and meds.

Income...   My SS is $1800 a month and not sure anybody has a decent nest egg.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Roadhawg said:

I like to play golf

Well first off all, Golf here is pretty expensive (comparatively), if you stand the heat and humidity. I did a quick google, green fees range from 50 usd to 100 usd but they include caddies lololol. 

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

I'm not a very good golfer  so a couple times a year for the fresh air and beer is good for me.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

At 93k peso per month you'll be OK as long as there's no sudden medical issues. 

Work on spending no more than 15k peso on digs. 5k peso on electric and 5k peso on visa extensions including transport to get it per month. 

Food can be as cheap as you want it or as expensive or more than the West depending on where and how you eat. 

Standard beer is cheap as are cancer sticks. Factor in your meds for diabetes. 

Even moving 10km can make a big difference to your budget. I lived in Sabang, Puerto Galera and could spend 90k easily on digs and life in general. I moved 10 km and living a better life on 75k per month. 

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

Interests....  I'm a pretty laid back guy. I like to sit outside having coffee while I read the paper.  I like to play golf,  I like walking around the Mall watching people, I'll go to a sports bar and watch sports and play some pool.

Health needs.....    I have some issues like Diabetes (type 2) controlled with diet and meds.

Income...   My SS is $1800 a month and not sure anybody has a decent nest egg.

Me too. Laid back, people watcher, casual observer, coffee, stroll around local malls. I don't go to bars, don't drink anything stronger than a glass of wine. 

Only health issue is my lower back. 

My nest egg is my home in California, paid for and receive income from the family that leases it. 

I am also a sports fan. MLB, NFL, PGA, LPGA, Tennis in that order. 

Married to a Filipina. I have a stepson. 

Good Luck and WELCOME

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Rent 7k. Electric 6k. Water 1k. Tuition for private school 3k. Cignal tv. P1,800. Globe internet with landline P2,500. Housekeeper 6k. Food for a family of 4 I'm thinking I spend at least 15k per month.

Don't forget that you're going to have to buy all of your appliances and furniture when you get here. You can live comfortably on less or more. You will adjust to your situation.:cheers: 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

I'm not a very good golfer  so a couple times a year for the fresh air and beer is good for me.

Before I moved to the Phills I once golfed a 98. I was proud of myself.

• Love it 1