Newbie question

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, hk blues said:

That's a very important piece of advice - as we all know, the coverage of each carrier varies from area to area so ask around to see what is being used by others in your area

After some research it seems my Verizon CDMA  phone won't work there so looks like a cheap new phone for me. Any recommendations?

Edited by Roadhawg
added on

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you don't want to spend a lot on a phone then the Samsung J series are a popular choice.

The Samsung J7 Pro offers good performance and screen size at a much cheaper price than their flagship S series or even their midrange A series but manages to keep most of the user experience of their more expensive models.  If you want a smaller screen then there is also the J5 Pro.  Make sure you buy a dual SIM version as there are both single and dual SIM versions available.

There are a myriad of chinese phones but I struggle to keep up with the models to be honest.

Edited by GeoffH

TimL
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

There are no dumb questions here. You ask we answer with a smile :smile:

Well, we answer anyway.... 😂

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

The other good thing about dual sims is in a lot of airports, malls etc you get 30 free minutes of wifi from Globe or Smart even if you have no load on your phone. Just search out the free wifi and it'll ask for a phone number to sent a pin code that you use for your free number. Once your 30 mins is up switch to the other number. 

• Like 1

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

If you don't want to spend a lot on a phone then the Samsung J series are a popular choice.

The Samsung J7 Pro offers good performance and screen size at a much cheaper price than their flagship S series or even their midrange A series but manages to keep most of the user experience of their more expensive models.  If you want a smaller screen then there is also the J5 Pro.  Make sure you buy a dual SIM version as there are both single and dual SIM versions available.

There are a myriad of chinese phones but I struggle to keep up with the models to be honest.

I have a J3 now so that will work.

• Like 2

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Nor sure where to put this so here it is. Unless somebody know anything negative about this place it looks promising.  http://www.expatapartmentsmactan.com/

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

Nor sure where to put this so here it is. Unless somebody know anything negative about this place it looks promising.  http://www.expatapartmentsmactan.com/

Hi RH, I stayed there about a year ago while looking for a more long term lease. Much as the website say's but don't stay in the single rooms, a bit pokey, ok for a few days but not much  longer. Try for a 2 b/room apartment, they are nearly always full so book a fair way in advance. Not sure if all those amenities are there now. I used to go to the mall just out the main gate for eats. Basak Grand Mall is a 60 -80 peso special (8peso share)  trike ride away, much better variety of food there.

Immigration Dept is maybe 10-15 minutes away at Island Mall, taxi around 100-120 pesos

SM Cebu for a taxi around 250 pesos depending on the time and the day.

Mercado to Cebu the ferry was 8pesos, not a bad trip if you have  time, taxi from the ferry (Cebu side) to Ayala was under 100 pesos

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Alrighty...... With the help of the good people on this forum I think I'm ready.

I have my plane ticket to Cebu City

I have my burn ticket

I have a furnished place to stay in Mactan

Balikbayan Boxes loading and about ready to take to shipper

Got a new phone since my Verizon one won't work

Notified my bank about international card usage.

Golf clubs ready to go

anything I'm forgetting?  I'm sure there is

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Roadhawg said:

anything I'm forgetting?  I'm sure there is

Minimum 6 months left prior to expiration of passport beyond expected period of stay?

• Love it 1

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Yes, have lots of time left, just got it last year.