Newbie question

graham59
Posted
Posted

I wish I had anywhere near $1800 a month to live on.

Live in the province (as I do) and you'll easily be able to live on that, AND save some towards that 'nest egg'/emergency fund.

Ok, so I (well... my Mrs and I) bought land and built a small house on it for peanuts, and therefore no rent, but even as a single guy, 3-5,000 pesos a month rent is easily doable in the province. Somewhere like Angeles City... haven for single men and expats generally, 5-10,000 pesos will still get you a decent small apartment. Have a look on the AC specific forums. 

Just DON'T start financing other people in the Phils !  They managed before they met you !

• Like 3

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the input, Much appreciated

• Like 2

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Bit the bullet...... Tired of going back and forth on the idea of moving.  Got a ticket and a $50 ticket to Singapore for my departure ticket.   Have a friend in Cebu City and she is looking for a place to rent. I have 6 weeks to work on Visa's and all that.  I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions but reading the forum in the meantime.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Roadhawg said:

I have 6 weeks to work on Visa's and all that

Not really. You have a long time. You will get 30 days free on arrival then extend until you decide. You have 36 months in total to think about it. 

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Thanks... good to know.

Roadhawg
Posted
Posted

Jolly.... since you live in Cebu, what's decent price on a furnished place?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Just now, Roadhawg said:

Jolly.... since you live in Cebu, what's decent price on a furnished place?

That is a question with many variable answers. Location, size, needs and general expectations all come into play. Some might pay 5k and other 45k so it's hard to say. In my case I prefere a good area with many conveniences so I have to pay for it. You will look at many places before finding something in your budget. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

Bit the bullet...... Tired of going back and forth on the idea of moving.  Got a ticket and a $50 ticket to Singapore for my departure ticket.   Have a friend in Cebu City and she is looking for a place to rent. I have 6 weeks to work on Visa's and all that.  I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions but reading the forum in the meantime.

I hope that your friend in Cebu is an honest person. Good to have someone that you can trust to help you decide where to live and how to manage your income. Your income is probably enough to live on. 

I carried  a small calculator with me to convert Pesos to US dollars every time I went out. Just to make sure that I didn't pay too much for something. Money management will be a big factor in the Philippines. 

Good Luck

• Like 1