Gullible!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not exactly a scam but something most of us know better than to do!  From our local gossip!

We have neighbors who live a few blocks away and their kids go to school with ours.  The expat is from Scotland, I think, and still works full time at a good paying job, so they don't have any money issues.  He travels a lot so I have only met him a few times.  Nice guy.  His Filipina wife is active on FB and sometimes selling expensive items she has tired of.  She has bragged to my wife what her monthly household budget is, and it is high enough to have plenty of extra money for expensive jewelry, etc.

So, for some reason, she needed to hire a full-time driver for their household, even though she drives.  They have 3 cars.  I don't think he was live-in and his salary was p10,000 a month.  So, after a month or so, he asks the wife for, and receives, a 5 months advance salary!  Bye, bye!  Within weeks he has disappeared back to the province.  Oddly, they are still in touch with him.  He wants them to buy a taxi so that he can drive it and have income.  What do you think?

Moral of the story, never advance an employee a big sum of salary!

On a side note, the wife seems to me to have average looks, but her younger sister is an absolute knock-out, IMHO.  My wife doesn't seem to agree with me.  In any case, little sis moved out of big sis' house and in with her foreigner boyfriend.  From the way little sis dressed, I would say that she is going to be a very expensive girlfriend / wife, and she is probably used to following big sis' expensive tastes.  Even though she is beautiful, I kind of pity the boyfriend.  She probably shopped for someone with deep pockets.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Never advance should be written in stone here. I tend to still think slightly Western in that you need to encourage people to work and money can do that. My partner is adamant that  Filipinos will never advance money. She's proven me wrong twice but fortunately only a few hundred peso was involved. 

It was a trike driver who takes her daughter to school. It became a regular occurrence for his trike to break down on a Monday after paying him. I think it's called Red Horse in the fuel

Once we changed it to getting paid at the end of the week with a small bonus for no failures to show up the attitude changed. I now let her deal with it. 

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm shocked, the driver wasn't an old boyfriend.:whistling:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I do not lend money to anyone here or in the states. My mother in law here thinks I am rich. I tell her, " if I was rich I would be living in the Marco Polo Hotel instead of here and have a chauffeur driven car"

Oh, and a funny thing about MIL. We have a nice Daikin  A/C that I keep at 26 degrees C. She bundles up when she comes here and sleeps like in a cocoon at night. She says I am cold blooded. Well, maybe but I don't like heat and humidity inside the house. 

Other than that, she is very nice and takes my side in any small disagreements I have with my wife. She speaks very good English unlike father in law who seems to mumble when he speaks. He loves my music and commented last time he was here about how he remembers an old Italian song by Dean Martin in Italian that I was  playing.  Wife has downloaded a ton of music for him. He loves CW and 60's music as well as Spanish and Italian songs.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Never a borrower or a lender be isn't the worst motto to live life by

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I take it, it is the Mrs staying in touch with the 'driver' . :whistling:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 1/11/2019 at 1:01 AM, Gary D said:

I'm shocked, the driver wasn't an old boyfriend.:whistling:

Or a new boyfriend?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 1/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, Gratefuled said:

I do not lend money to anyone here or in the states. My mother in law here thinks I am rich. I tell her, " if I was rich I would be living in the Marco Polo Hotel instead of here and have a chauffeur driven car"

Oh, and a funny thing about MIL. We have a nice Daikin  A/C that I keep at 26 degrees C. She bundles up when she comes here and sleeps like in a cocoon at night. She says I am cold blooded. Well, maybe but I don't like heat and humidity inside the house. 

Other than that, she is very nice and takes my side in any small disagreements I have with my wife. She speaks very good English unlike father in law who seems to mumble when he speaks. He loves my music and commented last time he was here about how he remembers an old Italian song by Dean Martin in Italian that I was  playing.  Wife has downloaded a ton of music for him. He loves CW and 60's music as well as Spanish and Italian songs.

That's Amore? HAha I love Dean Martin.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/10/2019 at 9:36 PM, OnMyWay said:

She has bragged to my wife what her monthly household budget is, and it is high enough to have plenty of extra money for expensive jewelry, etc.

A side story with a nice ending....

This same lady lost a p40,000 gold bracelet at our school, I think in the outdoor playground.  It was missing for a day and she knew it was probably lost there.  The grand dad of one of the kids found it and turned it into the office.  This granddad only picks up his grandson once in a while, so she was lucky that he was around to find it.  Nice to have an honest guy find it.

His grandson Liam cracks me up.  Big heavyset kid, maybe five, very outgoing, not afraid of anything.  The first time he met me a year or two ago, he said "What is your name?".  I said "Don".  To this day, every time he sees me, even at a distance, he shouts out "Hi Don!".