That's Amore? HAha I love Dean Martin

Yes, him and Andrea Bocelli. Volare, "prego"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, Snowy79 said:

Never advance should be written in stone here. I tend to still think slightly Western in that you need to encourage people to work and money can do that. My partner is adamant that  Filipinos will never advance money. She's proven me wrong twice but fortunately only a few hundred peso was involved. 

It was a trike driver who takes her daughter to school. It became a regular occurrence for his trike to break down on a Monday after paying him. I think it's called Red Horse in the fuel

Once we changed it to getting paid at the end of the week with a small bonus for no failures to show up the attitude changed. I now let her deal with it. 

I won't pay in advance in the UK, there is no chance of doing it in the Philippines & my wife would kill me if I did hahaha

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

I won't pay in advance in the UK, there is no chance of doing it in the Philippines & my wife would kill me if I did hahaha

If only it were that simple here - for many jobs you will at least have to pay in advance for the materials as many contractors live hand-to-mouth and cannot pay up front for materials.  

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

Hi hk blues, Yes I understand that when building or other things that involve a cost like parts for a car you have to buy them up front, we painted the house last year & had to provide the materials but we did not pay for the labour until the job was completed, it may not always be possible but it does save having problems if you can, our other safety belt is to try to use family members where ever possible.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

If only it were that simple here - for many jobs you will at least have to pay in advance for the materials as many contractors live hand-to-mouth and cannot pay up front for materials.  

That's the way it is for simple jobs. No contractor involved. The handyman type guys get the money to go buy the materials, come back with the receipts and start working. Feed them lunch and pay them the daily wage which is now P500 per day where I live. Never had a problem doing it this way.:smile:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, John Chamberlain said:

Hi hk blues, Yes I understand that when building or other things that involve a cost like parts for a car you have to buy them up front, we painted the house last year & had to provide the materials but we did not pay for the labour until the job was completed, it may not always be possible but it does save having problems if you can, our other safety belt is to try to use family members where ever possible.

I've used the same guy for all of my works over the past 4 years, John.  To be honest, I do pay in installments as he is paying his workers per day so he not only needs money for materials but also to pay his men.  This is a local guy who is not a business as such so I understand cash-flow is a problem.  The way I see it, If i get burnt, it will be once only and for a relatively small sum. 

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I am sure like me you play it as safe as you can & that's all any of us can do, your guy sounds like a very good deal that suits you, so all the best for a great result. We have quite a few projects for the future & the more complex ones we will only start when we retire here, which should be next year, we need to extend the house & put a decent sized patio with a swimming pool at the rear of the place which would be great for BBQ's, party's and R&R .

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

I am sure like me you play it as safe as you can & that's all any of us can do, your guy sounds like a very good deal that suits you, so all the best for a great result. We have quite a few projects for the future & the more complex ones we will only start when we retire here, which should be next year, we need to extend the house & put a decent sized patio with a swimming pool at the rear of the place which would be great for BBQ's, party's and R&R .

Sounds like a number of big projects coming up - good luck with them and I hope you can find a reliable contractor.

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Sounds like a number of big projects coming up - good luck with them and I hope you can find a reliable contractor.

Yes I will need a reliable contractor & I expect family in Ph will know just who to use, they great people & know the high standards their sister expects ( she is my wife) , both her brothers a very business like so we should be ok I hope!!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Salary advances are no interest loans in a country where loans sharks charge 5/6 (You borrow P5, pay me P6 at the end of the day).  It is a bad habit and the only way is to make it difficult for the borrowers.  One housewife I know demands collateral.  She will take the helper's cellular phone until the loan is repaid.  That's considered hardship because everyone is dependent on his/her cellular phone.