Earplugs!

peterfe
Posted
Posted

With Sinulog and various fiestas coming up, it's not too late to get yourself some good earplugs, but hurry! You won't find them on sale here, I'm pretty sure, but if you can get a friend in Europe to send you some by courier they should arrive just in time! Wax earplugs (always pink, it seems) are the only ones that work for me - the orange foam things you sometimes get on planes I find quite useless. In Boots (UK) they're called Muffles, in Germany and other European countries they're called Ohropax, and in Norway, Soviro. If you try to order them online, you may find they won't send them to the Philippines, by the way. Use a friend or relative instead.

This is not written by a grumpy old man who hates Sinulog, I really enjoy it, but I think most of us Westerners would ideally prefer somewhat fewer decibels. You form these wax earplugs so they fit comfortably into your ears, and you can use them when sleeping, resting or even outdoors during Sinulog, if your partner insists on sitting in the noisiest area to get the best view!   

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, peterfe said:

With Sinulog and various fiestas coming up, it's not too late to get yourself some good earplugs, but hurry! You won't find them on sale here, I'm pretty sure, but if you can get a friend in Europe to send you some by courier they should arrive just in time! Wax earplugs (always pink, it seems) are the only ones that work for me - the orange foam things you sometimes get on planes I find quite useless. In Boots (UK) they're called Muffles, in Germany and other European countries they're called Ohropax, and in Norway, Soviro. If you try to order them online, you may find they won't send them to the Philippines, by the way. Use a friend or relative instead.

This is not written by a grumpy old man who hates Sinulog, I really enjoy it, but I think most of us Westerners would ideally prefer somewhat fewer decibels. You form these wax earplugs so they fit comfortably into your ears, and you can use them when sleeping, resting or even outdoors during Sinulog, if your partner insists on sitting in the noisiest area to get the best view!   

As a last resort you can tear the filter off a a couple of cigarettes and use them. Not perfect but it works somewhat. The fit in the ear is good.:laugh:

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I've got a set of very expensive ear plugs ,they take a mould of your inner ear and manufacture a set , mine have a microphone and speakers in them with a blue tooth gadget ,they block a great deal of noise out ,they are not cheap at 300 bucks but very good 

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have some really nice, tight fitting, ear buds (J4s). For many years I have slept in them, as needed. I have had them 8 or 9 years, and just bought a 2nd pair. Not as a replacement, just felt it was time for a spare set.   My iPod has a white noise track of a jet engine that I play.  Drowns out the thump-thump pretty well.  I tried earplugs and muffs, to no avail. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

I just turn up my Black Sabbath to number 11.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, peterfe said:

Have tried and tried these with no success, my brother swears by them.

What works for me is the little rubber ones sold in Ace for P50, last about a year. Not for music, my partner has quite a snore and sleeps like the dead.

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I've got a set of very expensive ear plugs ,they take a mould of your inner ear and manufacture a set , mine have a microphone and speakers in them with a blue tooth gadget ,they block a great deal of noise out ,they are not cheap at 300 bucks but very good 

I have a set of those too, made of silicone. Slide right in and out of the ear. i used them when firearms training, reduces the sound of a gunshot to about the level of a human voice.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Lou49 said:

I have a set of those too, made of silicone. Slide right in and out of the ear. i used them when firearms training, reduces the sound of a gunshot to about the level of a human voice.

My buddy thought that thr price was outrageous, i replied put a price on your hearing , have you ever heard of tinitus ? It can drive you insane 

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

A spent .45 cartridge fits in the ear good and blocks a lot of loud noise. Just sayin'. 

Edited by Reboot

jimeve
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bastonjock said:

My buddy thought that thr price was outrageous, i replied put a price on your hearing , have you ever heard of tinitus ? It can drive you insane 

i have tinnitus since 2000 and it's really bad to a point that it makes me dizzy/lightheaded. Had a ruptured ear when sub aqua diving with the Royal Marines, way back in 1978. After many ear infections I had two ops to close the hole, but it left me with this permanent buzzing noise in my head.:SugarwareZ-037: