Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing with us. 😎

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Follow up:

There were a few weeks where the unit was freezing enough to be bothersome.  Had to unplug it to restart it and then OK again.  I was thinking about un-recommending it for this reason, but now it has not done this for a month.  It may have downloaded an update that fixed it.

We are nearing the end of our 2 month free trial for My Family Cinema and we like it a lot, so we are thinking about subscribing for $3.49 a month.  It is better than Netflix for less money.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Another follow up...

The unit still freezes once in a while but it is not a big deal.

It has a new bug that is a bigger deal but we are still using it a lot.  After turning it on, it sometimes (more than 50%) flashes the screen to black for about 1 second, repeatedly, every 5-15 seconds.  I can make the problem go away after unplugging it once or twice, then it will be fine until you are done watching.

We want to get a second box for our other TV, but I don't think I will buy this one again.  Without the bugs, it is great and it was less than p1000.  There are many others so I will try another, for more money.  I bought this particular one because my BIL had it, and he probably chose the lowest price.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=andriod+tv+box&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.searchlist.search.go.53472ef1CfWqyJ

TimL
Posted
Posted

I know that it’s not a cheap replacement but the Nvidia Sheild is a great box. I have had 4 of the cheapie boxes and they lasted anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months before they died. Bottom line, everyone of them died. I have an Nvidia back in the US that i’ve had for a couple of years and it’s been great. I use almost daily. I bought another one here a month ago to replace the Android box that I bought here that died less then 4 weeks after purchasing and it’s been solid. We use it every day here and more often then not, it’s on 12+ hours a day. It is an excellent box especially for Kodi. 

I have two dif vpn’s on it in case one happens to be slow which I get from time to time and it has a large number of content apps and games available for it. I got this one from Lazada. If you want/need the seller, let me know and i’ll post for you. Ordered on Friday, had it on Monday. Fastest thing that I ever received via Lazada. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, TimL said:

I know that it’s not a cheap replacement but the Nvidia Sheild is a great box. I have had 4 of the cheapie boxes and they lasted anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months before they died. Bottom line, everyone of them died. I have an Nvidia back in the US that i’ve had for a couple of years and it’s been great. I use almost daily. I bought another one here a month ago to replace the Android box that I bought here that died less then 4 weeks after purchasing and it’s been solid. We use it every day here and more often then not, it’s on 12+ hours a day. It is an excellent box especially for Kodi. 

I have two dif vpn’s on it in case one happens to be slow which I get from time to time and it has a large number of content apps and games available for it. I got this one from Lazada. If you want/need the seller, let me know and i’ll post for you. Ordered on Friday, had it on Monday. Fastest thing that I ever received via Lazada. 

I have a basic question - what is the advantage of such a box over a smart TV?  I'm thinking about buying a smart TV but not sure if that is the way to go.  

TimL
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I have a basic question - what is the advantage of such a box over a smart TV?  I'm thinking about buying a smart TV but not sure if that is the way to go.  

The biggest thing I guess would be available apps, storage and memory. I have a smart tv and the Nvidia. 

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

I have an expat system that I get from a Swedish friend of mine, its P5K a year and works a treat. Has 25K channels including UK and US, but not Aussie, if you want details PM me.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

You should probably go ahead with a Smart TV.  Most decent models are Smart TVs these days and can hook up to the internet, get You Tube, Netflix, etc.

The key thing here is the operating system.  Most of the Smart TVs have operating systems that are proprietary and the apps like You Tube are built just for that TV.  The exception is that some brands are now coming out with Android TVs.  This means the operating systems are Android and you can download all the apps out there that work with Android.  From Google Play, etc.

What the Android TV Box add-on does is turn your regular Smart TV into an Android Smart TV.  So you can download all the Android apps you desire and play them on your regular Smart TV.

The perceived downside (in my mind) to buying a full fledged Android TV is that they cost more and have limited brands.  I know Sony has them but I'm not sure which other brands have them.  The Android TV Box is a cheap alternative until such time the Android TVs have been around a while and have more brands.

I think I covered it before, but our main motivation for the box was that our 2013 LG 42" Smart TV was getting dumber at a rapid rate.  LG was no longer using the proprietary operating system in new models, so the apps were expiring and not being updated.  You Tube no longer worked.  After we hooked up the box, it was like a new TV!

However, we liked the box so much it is now hooked up to our primary 55" Samsung Smart TV, and I am shopping for another box.  The Samsung Smart TV works fine for You Tube so we use it for that and a few others.  The Android box is used mostly for apps that stream movies and TV shows.  The one app we use the most is My Family Cinema.  After 2 months free I am now paying $3.50 a month for it.  We like it more than Netflix and it actually includes a lot of Netflix content.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
alongwwallker
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing with us, very satisfied