20,000$ US for soon to be expat

Lordtariq83
Posted
Posted

Hello i m a 35 year old man living outside NewYork City. I am planning on moving to the Philippines in Oct 2020 for betwen 4-6 months....i am bringing with me roughly 20,000$ US maybe a little more and i am wondering how far this can get me living in the Philippines...i am not looking to live extravagantly i just want a 1 or 2 BR apartment in a decent area. Also i work as a welder here in the USA would it be possible to find work welding in the philippines to supplement my income?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

Budgets are dependent on the individual needs and wants. We have members living on less than $1,000 USD a month. Others much more. $2,000 a month maybe enough for you depending on your activities and location.

When you say “I’m bringing $20,000 USD with me” you don’t actually mean in your pocket I hope. Use an ATM card or other means don’t have a large sum of cash on hand that could get you killed.

Generaly Foreigners may not work in Philippines. There are likely thousands of unemployed skilled Filipino welders looking for work anyway.

Lordtariq83
Posted
Posted

yes i meant in the bank lol...no way will i ever carry this much cash around ANYWHERE.....i am not a person looking to spend foolishly....i want a 2 br apartment perhaps a vehicle eat out maybe once a week and cook the rest of the time. I am coming by myself so i have no other mouths to feed...do you feel that 20,000$ is enough to live comfortable for 6 months?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes. If I were single and planned to live reasonably modest outside a large city $20k would be enough to live there for six months.

You understand that you’re likely not to remain single very long? :shades: 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Lordtariq83 said:

i am not a person looking to spend foolishly....i want a 2 br apartment perhaps a vehicle eat out maybe once a week and cook the rest of the time. I am coming by myself so i have no other mouths to feed...do you feel that 20,000$ is enough to live comfortable for 6 months?

I dont see where you intend to be. This will make a difference. I doubt if your budget is enough. If you were to rent a 2 bedroom for a start prices will be higher and you have one month in advance plus usually 2 months security deposit. 

Lets talk about the location you are thinking of? 

Lordtariq83
Posted
Posted

i am looking at living in Bislig City..

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)

$20k for 6 months? That's plenty. I could have a decent time by myself in London for 6 months with that, shouldn't be an issue here lol.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lordtariq83 said:

i am looking at living in Bislig City..

Why?  Mindanao is not the safest of places to live, although I know nothing of that place.  Generally speaking, Davao is the only safe place in Southern Mindanao.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Davao is the only safe place in Southern Mindanao.

Not really. 

Maybe safer than some but not really a safe place to live. You just don't read about the crime in local newspapers but its there (here). 

One of my best friends here is a retired PNP. but taxi drivers are a source of crime reportings.. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

That must be a nice young lady you're chasing ?  :biggrin:

Take as more or less 100% you won't be able to find legal work in the Phils... certainly in your trade, and that's a good reality check starting point.  If you do find something ... great. 

20,000 bucks is more than enough for 6 months, IF you don't fall under the spell of a money-absorbing 'other'... of which there are plenty.

Don't burn your bridges back home.  6 months can only really be a taster. 

• Like 1