Scrub it... or it won't be clean.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Side note...

I noticed recently in Olongapo there are some coin operated laundries that have popped up.  There is one near my daughter's friends house that is odd because it is basically outside.  The washers and dryers are stacked on the outside wall and when they are closed, they pulled down the metal roll door.  They look like expensive LG or Samsung machines, stainless steel, and there are probably twenty.  I have seen customers there using them but it does not seem like a good business model, seeing how you can just drop off your laundry and have it done for a very low price.  Most likely, this place offers that as well.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

.You have to ignore the handwash have a beer and keep your nose out

:hystery: Today is Washing day so guess what over there.jpg  Kevin and his mate.jpg We will do our bit while they do theirs :whistling: You have to laugh at these things or they can get serious and we might end up with Hands like Granny had :smile:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Best not to ask too many questions or you may end up getting to do the job yourself!

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Could the scrubbing thing be linked to killing bugs ? 

Anyhow i can still remember my old mum washing our clothes in the big belfast sink and then putting them through the mangle to squeeze the water out 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Could the scrubbing thing be linked to killing bugs ? 

Anyhow i can still remember my old mum washing our clothes in the big belfast sink and then putting them through the mangle to squeeze the water out 

I think it's more to do with preferring/trusting traditional methods than anything else.  In my childhood days we were living in a multi-story and had a communal washing area and drying area - I used to love the smell of the laundry area. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Best not to ask too many questions or you may end up getting to do the job yourself!

Not a chance in hell as we don`t do it properly according to the better half.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 1/16/2019 at 11:48 AM, manofthecoldland said:

Think I'll keep my mouth shut on this matter in the future. Only a fool picks arguments with the cook.

I still remain in ignorance as to the Filipinas' steadfast fixation on arduously scrubbing all the clothes. 

Thanks first for the wonderful time we had together while the wife and I were over there. I picked you as a smarter man than that, shame on you for even mentioning anything about washing. It's there domain and I would not dare stick my beak into it, somethings a man just has to sit back and say, " yes dear, no dear, okay dear," then when the dust settles, ask about breky, by the time she's finished cooking 9 times out of 10 she's forgotten about the help she wanted. Her response will be if she remember, they never wash as clean as her anyway so "I'll do it myself".

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 1/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, Gary D said:

After 20 years of using automatic washing machines my wife is fully on my side. No beating it to death at ther local pump for her.

Mine is the same.  After being in the USA and using washing machines/dryers for the last 28 years she is well used to the convenience.  Funny though that when we visit the Philippines she can revert in a heartbeat when she doesn't have a machine available.  I know when we move over there though she'll want a machine.

Quick story though on how provincial they are about washing clothes though.  My wife was helping some of the woman do the laundry. She handed me some of the clothes to fold as I always do.  One of the woman said in Tagalog "why are you handing that to him?  This is woman's work." 

I turned to her and said in English " this is woman's work?  So I guess I shouldn't be making her change the oil in our car? "...

Silence reigned...

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is more to being a family's lavandera (wash woman). She can also serve as your wife's link to gossip within the community.