My experince with Airb&b and Booking.com

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Start your own sari sari store

I could start a soy sauce and vinegar store. Get so much of it . 

RBM
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

Start your own sari sari store

Appears an early Xmas 

florin1106
Posted
Posted
On 1/21/2019 at 3:51 AM, RBM said:

To the OP really enjoyed your posts and trust you keep comments coming.

We are in the process of constructing a couple of units solely for airbnb as no desire for long term tenants. We have a couple spare lots next to us which we bought as a noise buffer so decided to utilize one.

Couple  question I have, what has been the most common natnaity of your guests and have you experienced problems with same.

Hello RBM..

alright Nationality...Born in Italy.  Living, working and have whole family ( whatever it's left of it )  in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for 37.5 years. 3 kids/grown ups now, 2 in Canada and one daughter in Italy. Lived in Thailand for 4 years and moved to Phils 6 years ago , married, I am 71 years old and still < kicking...if you know what I mean RBM ...blink !! he he

Now your intentions to build a couple of Units and list them thereafter.. Wow !! Man I will tell you here my own opinions ..Your intention is great and is a recipe for success RBM ! I am convinced that you will do good or very good ! Let me elaborate a little bit...

I have only 2 apartments and I am doing very good as return on my investment..You, with let's say building 5 or 6 or more units Cannot Go Wrong ! It's called Economy of Scale and it is proven that the more units you have the better the return..!

I went to this Airb&b website and registered with them long before my apartments were built..I have learned a lot from there... They have a so called Community Guide where people share their experiences, their complaints you know the stuff sharing the good, the bad and the ugly..There are hundreds of topics covered, typical is almost the same as this Expats Forum except this Forum is much much better !!! he he !! 

I have 2 friends one American he has 4 units and one Swiss who has 5 units. These are NOT Resorts just private homes like mine.

They are doing exceptionally well, way better than me just because they have at least someone renting something in downtime or low season..

Of course RBM it will also depend on other factors such the three L' s ( Location Location  Location), proximity to major events, major Landmarks, Big Malls, Theaters,  Airports, Entertaining venues etc etc ..

Still without a superb location or without a special something one can make it work very nicely ( good money ) in my opinion.

I have read many many examples where people doing good even located in the middle of nowhere..

Just to conclude RBM

I have a good American buddy here in Panglao Island. Former limousine driver in Boston USA. He has a very nice Villa/Mansion, 2 stories, 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, beautiful workmanship, gorgeous facade, one of a kind place.  He has no Pool and is Not close to beach ! He rented his entire house for 6 persons for 2 nights over the New Year for....hmmm  25,000 pesos per one night ! 50,000 pesos for two night..! he he !

It's time you to start building ... my friend ! 

Chuck

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, florin1106 said:

Hello RBM..

alright Nationality...Born in Italy.  Living, working and have whole family ( whatever it's left of it )  in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for 37.5 years. 3 kids/grown ups now, 2 in Canada and one daughter in Italy. Lived in Thailand for 4 years and moved to Phils 6 years ago , married, I am 71 years old and still < kicking...if you know what I mean RBM ...blink !! he he

Now your intentions to build a couple of Units and list them thereafter.. Wow !! Man I will tell you here my own opinions ..Your intention is great and is a recipe for success RBM ! I am convinced that you will do good or very good ! Let me elaborate a little bit...

I have only 2 apartments and I am doing very good as return on my investment..You, with let's say building 5 or 6 or more units Cannot Go Wrong ! It's called Economy of Scale and it is proven that the more units you have the better the return..!

I went to this Airb&b website and registered with them long before my apartments were built..I have learned a lot from there... They have a so called Community Guide where people share their experiences, their complaints you know the stuff sharing the good, the bad and the ugly..There are hundreds of topics covered, typical is almost the same as this Expats Forum except this Forum is much much better !!! he he !! 

I have 2 friends one American he has 4 units and one Swiss who has 5 units. These are NOT Resorts just private homes like mine.

They are doing exceptionally well, way better than me just because they have at least someone renting something in downtime or low season..

Of course RBM it will also depend on other factors such the three L' s ( Location Location  Location), proximity to major events, major Landmarks, Big Malls, Theaters,  Airports, Entertaining venues etc etc ..

Still without a superb location or without a special something one can make it work very nicely ( good money ) in my opinion.

I have read many many examples where people doing good even located in the middle of nowhere..

Just to conclude RBM

I have a good American buddy here in Panglao Island. Former limousine driver in Boston USA. He has a very nice Villa/Mansion, 2 stories, 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, beautiful workmanship, gorgeous facade, one of a kind place.  He has no Pool and is Not close to beach ! He rented his entire house for 6 persons for 2 nights over the New Year for....hmmm  25,000 pesos per one night ! 50,000 pesos for two night..! he he !

It's time you to start building ... my friend ! 

Chuck

What about the rest of the year? That was for New year only! Surly he would not get 25,000 pesos for the rest of the year.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's certainly vast discrepancies with times of the year. A 3.5k peso apartment for the night around the big holidays can go for upwards of 10k peso. One similar to an apartment I own goes for 14k peso per night at xmas and anything from 3.5k peso to 7k peso at other times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

One similar to an apartment I own goes for 14k peso per night at xmas and anything from 3.5k peso to 7k peso at other times. 

Supply and demand comes to mind, No different to Airfares when you think about, That's why it it is called Peak Times methinks:wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There's certainly vast discrepancies with times of the year. A 3.5k peso apartment for the night around the big holidays can go for upwards of 10k peso. One similar to an apartment I own goes for 14k peso per night at xmas and anything from 3.5k peso to 7k peso at other times. 

So with air bnb I take it one can change prices any time without problems.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

So with air bnb I take it one can change prices any time without problems.

Yes. There's also smart pricing where depending on like for like properties they can raise or lower the prices. If 100 people are looking for a 3 bed and there's only 50 available they up the price. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/23/2019 at 2:20 PM, Snowy79 said:

Yes. There's also smart pricing where depending on like for like properties they can raise or lower the prices. If 100 people are looking for a 3 bed and there's only 50 available they up the price. 

I see wondered why when I have been checking air bnb the price often increases. For me this is a major turn off and I go elsewhere. When I click on a price that's what I expect pay not any different except cleaning fee.

Speaking  of which guess this is decided by owner not airbnb. We start our little project next month so have really appreciated this thread and the vast helpful input from Chuck.

There are no listings  in our small city so we are not sure price wise just doing our home work. We stay Cebu a lot airbnb how ever it's a rough guide line at best.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Chuck as mentioned your detailed input is very much appreciated, I have read it many times.