Balikbayan visa?

Mark57
Posted
Posted

I am planning to retire to the Philippines with my filipina wife in July 2019 on a fiance visa.  We married shortly after she arrived.    She has been here 6 months and has not yet gotten a green card.  Her mother has cancer and she is the only child and wants to return to watch over her care.   When we arrive in the Philippines together will we be able to avail a Balikbayan Visa?   I read its good for one year.   Anyone have any experience with this?   Appreciate any help or advice you can give me.   Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

roddavis
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes that is true if you are traveling together. The rules say you must have  marriage certificate with you and I know some will say no one asked but to make life easy follow the rules. 

If your last names the same, they generally wont ask. I assume your wife's passport is in her maiden names o...as Jollygoodfellow says. best to carry certificate for proof. Then you have 1 year, either leave somewhere quick and return(Hong Kong) and repeat another year, or near the end of the 1 year, file 1st extension, till you reach the 3rd year when you have to leave again! :feetontable_anim:

• Like 2

Mark57
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys  really do appreciate the help!

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Not my business, but surely it would be far more advantageous for you both in the long run, if your fiancee could somehow both give care to her mother AND continue with her green card/citizenship process ?

You may both regret not having seized the opportunity, further down the line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Mark57 said:

Thanks guys  really do appreciate the help!

Make sure you are in the same line together and TELL the agent that you two are married. Years ago I had to go to BI and get my stamp amended cuz the guy put a tourist stamp instead of Balikbayan. My fault. I just didn't know. Good luck and have fun!:wave:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

TELL the agent that you two are married.

Tell your wife what to say and just let her do the talking,,,,,lolol

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

Mark57
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, graham59 said:

Not my business, but surely it would be far more advantageous for you both in the long run, if your fiancee could somehow both give care to her mother AND continue with her green card/citizenship process ?

You may both regret not having seized the opportunity, further down the line. 

I agree with your concern  -  She feels a real need to go back to be with her mother as an only child.  This is a filipina family is important

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, I totally understand her desire to be with her mother... of course.

I'm just questioning the wisdom of 'burning bridges' with the U.S. Citizenship process though... if that were to be the case.  :wink:

I know how complicated and expensive the equivalent British system is. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Billoncho
Posted
Posted

I read that you can extend the Balikbayan visa, I was wondering if at the one year point my wife and I took a trip and returned, could we get another 12 month  Balikbayanvisa? Anyone have experience with this. My wife's US visa can take around 18 months and we want to stay together as a family while our daughter learns some Tagalog. Thanks.

• Like 1