Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, jimeve said:

I didn't mean to quote you specifically Jack, It was meant for the whole world web. I wanted to reply to the OP but for some reason I quoted you :tiphat:  

:58: No probs mate, Hopefully we can all sing from the same hymn sheet now :wink: 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, Jack Peterson said:

 Mike this is not correct in its entirety. you can after the initial year of the BB stamp,   Visit the BI and they convert the BB to a 9a (Tourist Visa) :wink:

 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, jimeve said:

Balikbayan Privilege Please read #3

So that I understand this all correctly, the "Extension" mentioned is Only a conversion to a tourist 9A, Or is it an extension of the "privilege ".?  Asking since the #3 cited on the Immigration page does not specify; so, we want to plan accordingly for our move next Spring, since converting to the 9A then starts the periodic reporting, fees, etc.   I will likely be leaving for a few weeks every 6 months or so to check on our rental property, see older kids here in US and any medical needs, then returning.  We were thinking Asawa would meet me in Hong Kong, etc for a "mini us only vacation" and fly back in together, but wanted have a back up plan in case that one fails due to Murphy's Law.  Guess if we decide to stay permanently, I can do the military vet SRRV for around $1500.   Thanks in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact the Philippine Embassy in Chicago and they will be able to approve any visa's prior to your travel.  You should have received your Green Card after her arrival.  My wife got here the middle of September 2018 and got her social security card and green card by 1 October 2018.  Did you fill out the form for the green card and pay the cost? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philippine Consulate General, 122 South Michigan Avenue, Suite 1600, Chicago, IL 60603

312-583-0621

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

 

So that I understand this all correctly, the "Extension" mentioned is Only a conversion to a tourist 9A, Or is it an extension of the "privilege ".?  Asking since the #3 cited on the Immigration page does not specify; so, we want to plan accordingly for our move next Spring, since converting to the 9A then starts the periodic reporting, fees, etc.   I will likely be leaving for a few weeks every 6 months or so to check on our rental property, see older kids here in US and any medical needs, then returning.  We were thinking Asawa would meet me in Hong Kong, etc for a "mini us only vacation" and fly back in together, but wanted have a back up plan in case that one fails due to Murphy's Law.  Guess if we decide to stay permanently, I can do the military vet SRRV for around $1500.   Thanks in advance.  

The conversion will be full on 9A Tourist Visa, but you have already been in the country for 6-11+ months by that time so you will need to get exit clearance (6 months to less than a year can be had at the airport with the usual Immigration office pre-check, 12 months plus must be gotten in advance) even if you want to leave the very day after you convert to Tourist. Time spent in country in the BB Courtesy/ Visa Waiver counts against the 36 months total that you can stay on Tourist visa before you must leave.

If you can manage to leave each time at under 6 months, It's a breeze at the airport. I have seen an Immigration office look puzzled counting the days when I have been in country 6 months less a few days but nothing was ever said.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

 

So that I understand this all correctly, the "Extension" mentioned is Only a conversion to a tourist 9A, Or is it an extension of the "privilege ".?  Asking since the #3 cited on the Immigration page does not specify; so, we want to plan accordingly for our move next Spring, since converting to the 9A then starts the periodic reporting, fees, etc.   I will likely be leaving for a few weeks every 6 months or so to check on our rental property, see older kids here in US and any medical needs, then returning.  We were thinking Asawa would meet me in Hong Kong, etc for a "mini us only vacation" and fly back in together, but wanted have a back up plan in case that one fails due to Murphy's Law.  Guess if we decide to stay permanently, I can do the military vet SRRV for around $1500.   Thanks in advance.  

I would recommend that you apply for a 13G (married to a Philippine citizen) visa.  You can even do this while still in the USA via the Philippine embassy in San Francisco.  I was going to go that route but our house sold quicker than we anticipated so we departed early.  When you have a 13G you are a full time resident and there is no hassle of trips out, extensions, making sure you come in with your spouse, etc.  An additional advantage to applying while in the US is that there is no "probationary" period of one year like you have if applying here.  

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/news/5203/591/Visa-Procedure/d,phildet/

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/uploads/Consular/SF/Visa2018A.pdf

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would recommend that you apply for a 13G (married to a Philippine citizen) visa.  You can even do this while still in the USA via the Philippine embassy in San Francisco.  I was going to go that route but our house sold quicker than we anticipated so we departed early.  When you have a 13G you are a full time resident and there is no hassle of trips out, extensions, making sure you come in with your spouse, etc.  An additional advantage to applying while in the US is that there is no "probationary" period of one year like you have if applying here.  

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/news/5203/591/Visa-Procedure/d,phildet/

http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/uploads/Consular/SF/Visa2018A.pdf

13g is different than 13a?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

13g is different than 13a?

 

Basically it depends on if your spouse is a Philippine citizen or has dual citizenship get the 13A.  If the spouse. is former Philippine citizenship get the 13G.  Otherwise basically the same rights for the visa holder.

Edited by Mike J
Add clarity
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:17 AM, Mike J said:

 

Basically it depends on if your spouse is a Philippine citizen or has dual citizenship get the 13A.  If the spouse. is former Philippine citizenship get the 13G.  Otherwise basically the same rights for the visa holder.

Still need the exit clearance though even with a 13a/g.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Still need the exit clearance though even with a 13a/g.

And pay to exit as well?  Figure I'll be leaving to US up to 2x per year in addition to our planned Asia and other travel together. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...