Balikbayan visa?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

And pay to exit as well?  Figure I'll be leaving to US up to 2x per year in addition to our planned Asia and other travel together. 

Yes, when you are on 13a you have to pay the ECC-B at the airport (p2880 last October at Clark) and as a permanent resident you also have to pay the travel tax of p1620 per adult and p810 for child.  It is a big ripoff.

If you are going to travel with your wife a lot and also on your own, you are probably better off to use Balikbayan and tourist visa.  When you are with your wife, Balikbayan, on your own, tourist.  Later, when your travels slow down, you can consider a permanent resident visa.

I'm not real sure what fees apply if you are on an SRRV but I think the same because you are a permanent resident.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I will add to what OMW said above that if you are settled in one spot and not required to pay express lane fees, tourist visa is fairly cheap. A lot cheaper than it used to be.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Just resurrecting this topic, and have a query regarding the BB Privilege.

I live here in Phils with my Filipina wife. We will be having a one month vacation early next year in the UK, travelling to the UK on the return half of our tickets. We intend to get single tickets for our travel from the UK to Manila.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when I return to Phils with my wife, do I still need a throwaway ticket even though I will hopefully get a one year BB stamp on arrival?

We have recently got married so, up to now, my stays here have been on the basis of extension of stay.

Reading through the various threads on the topic, my understanding is that the BB Privilege really only applies if my wife was out of the country for at least a year. However it seems to be granted as a norm by immigration at the airport, if husband and wife arrive together. As the BB 1 year stamp reverts to a 9a after a year, that implies that the BB stamp is really another form of tourist stamp, so am I correct in thinking that a throwaway ticket will be required?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Huggybearman said:

so am I correct in thinking that a throwaway ticket will be required?

In a word  Yes, You will not be able to Board the Plane from where you depart without, as you do not have the right Status

FYI the BB is a privilege to your Wife, not you, and we never know if we are going to get that BB until we arrive so it means you will arrive on your Passport and that requires an onward or Return Ticket. Make sure your wife has the Marriage Cert to Hand as no doubt her Passport will be in her Maiden name? :wink:

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/12/2019 at 8:46 AM, Mick said:

Yes you can get a 12 month on your return if with your wife, no problem 

Make sure you and your wife are standing in the same line together. Have a copy of your marriage license in hand. TELL the agent that you are traveling together. First time I came here to retire they gave me a tourist stamp. Had to go through the hassle of getting it amended to balikbayon. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Actually you don't need an onward ticket if arriving as a balikbayan........but it would rely on you finding a check-in agent that knows the rules, probably easier to just get a throw away ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

In a word  Yes, You will not be able to Board the Plane from where you depart without, as you do not have the right Status

FYI the BB is a privilege to your Wife, not you, and we never know if we are going to get that BB until we arrive so it means you will arrive on your Passport and that requires an onward or Return Ticket. Make sure your wife has the Marriage Cert to Hand as no doubt her Passport will be in her Maiden name? :wink:

Thanks Jack.

Yes, my wifes passport is still in her maiden name. She has a five year UK visit visa in her passport so we figured it better to keep to her maiden name until that visa expires to avoid any complications when arriving in the UK.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Actually you don't need an onward ticket if arriving as a balikbayan.....

Sorry But NO one arrives as a BB, NO one is a BB until the BI say so so Please let's stop this bad information

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have had two 'Balikbayan runs' over to Hong Kong with my Mrs this past 16 months.

No onward ticket ever mentioned (or purchased).  

If you're really uncertain about it, when flying in from the UK,  just add a cheap onward destination such as Bangkok or Hong Kong.  

Edited by graham59

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I have had two 'Balikbayan runs' over to Hong Kong with my Mrs this past 16 months.

No onward ticket ever mentioned (or purchased).  

Same name? if so you may have been Lucky, many are not, things are so different day to day Bearing in Mind, you will already have a a BB stamp in your Passport, the OP is asking about a First Time, entry with  Wife

Edited by Jack Peterson