Balikbayan visa?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gary D said:

Here is the word from the immigration website. see 11-2

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req

I always appreciate it when actual facts and/or data are posted in discussions like this as it provides valuable information to those seeking answers to questions about law or government processes. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Despite the BI rule that Gary posted and some experiences at other airports, I think you should be prepared for any situation at the UK counter when coming home.  The farther you get from Philippines, the less likely it is that a ticket agent will know exceptions to the rules.

1.  Get to the airport early when coming back to the Philippines.

2.  Print the rule Gary posted and bring it with you.

3.  If the agent and supervisors and manager will not accept it and insist you need an onward ticket, be prepared.  Be familiar with how to buy an onward ticket on your phone, right there at the airport.  Buy any fully refundable ticket.  When you arrive in the Philippines, refund it.

4.  Bring you marriage license for the BI guys at arrival.

Or, save yourself all that trouble and just buy a cheapie onward ticket.  Subscribe to the low cost airlines mailing lists and wait for a sale.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

....and don't forget to ASK for the Balikbayan stamp ! Check it (the stamp) before you leave Immigration too. 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Or, save yourself all that trouble and just buy a cheapie onward ticket.  Subscribe to the low cost airlines mailing lists and wait for a sale.

Exactly, and save yourself the hassle of points 1, 2 and 3.

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Looks like I will be testing the system soon. Wife wants to go visit for 6 weeks. We have received BB VISA's in the past but never stayed more than 3 weeks at a time. We will have return tickets but it will obviously be out of the normal 30 day tourist VISA.

If I read the BI link correctly, Spouse is considered immediate family. Wife is dual with both valid USA and Philippine Passports

11. Who are exempt from the return ticket requirement?        

1. Philippine passport holders;
  2. Former Filipinos and their dependents (immediate family members)

12. Who can enter the Philippines without entry visa?

149. United States of America

On a side note, over the past 15 years going back and forth to Philippines, not once have I ever been asked to show a return ticket.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, FlyAway said:

Looks like I will be testing the system soon. Wife wants to go visit for 6 weeks. We have received BB VISA's in the past but never stayed more than 3 weeks at a time. We will have return tickets but it will obviously be out of the normal 30 day tourist VISA.

If I read the BI link correctly, Spouse is considered immediate family. Wife is dual with both valid USA and Philippine Passports

On a side note, over the past 15 years going back and forth to Philippines, not once have I ever been asked to show a return ticket.

You have never been asked because your return is flagged up on their computer. It always beneficial to carry a copy of your marriage certificate, never been asked......but one day someone might. You are getting 1 year so don't worry about the 30 days.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Definitely have a copy of your marriage cert with you... even if only as a file on your phone. 

That Balikbayan 'Privilege' (not a visa) is worth what... p20,000 or more in normal tourist extension fees ?

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, FlyAway said:

It seems strange as it doesn't say Philippine passport holders and their dependents are eligible but Former Filipinos dependents are eligible.  Also, what do they mean by dependents? 

Edited by hk blues
Added Info

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

It seems strange as it doesn't say Philippine passport holders and their dependents are eligible but Former Filipinos dependents are eligible.  Also, what do they mean by dependents? 

Balikbayan is an overseas Filipino. An Overseas Filipino is a person of Filipino origin who lives outside the Philippines. This term applies to Filipinos who are abroad indefinitely as citizens or as permanent residents of a different country. I believe the term translates to returning filipino.

The balikbayan scheme was set up to help overseas Filipinos support their families at home and basically bring in dollars. That is why a Philippines resident is required to be out of the Philippines for 1 year (not enforced) to qualify for the balikbayan privilege. Immediate dependents would be any foreign spouse and children not traveling on a Philippines passport.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 10/28/2019 at 8:27 AM, FlyAway said:

The issue is if the airline understand the system. That's where you need information that can show the law. Former now deceased admin at times had issues with American airlines until he pulled out the said law and was able to prove he was not required to have an onward ticket as a BB.

No one needs any onward ticket within the 30 days of a tourist visa as the BI said to me that we know it can be extended.

• Like 2