Buying a car

stevewool
Posted
Posted

If you are going to buy a new car , what do you get other then the car.

Do you get so many years warranty plus is the warranty worth the paper it’s written on.

What about getting the car serviced ,plus is there such a thing as a MOT , I have tried asking the back seat driver and all I get is Yer ,Yer to everything except the MOT thing .

Now if I was to buy 2nd hand is that a minefield in itself .

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, stevewool said:

is that a minefield in itself .

Steve Mate, the Whole thing can be a minefield and pretty Stressful at times, You think the UK MOT is bad enough wait till you get involved with the LTO here ( That is the same as the Ministry of Transport here) :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

... and that is why I let others do the driving now.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Bought a Chevy Sail brand new in 2016. 5 year warranty as long as you get the periodic checks done at the dealership. (Alabang in my case) 3 year LTO. Insurance is reasonable. P32k for the first year. My GF dented the front left of the car while she was backing out of a place somewhere and the damage was around 60k . Paid the deductible which was about 4k and the car was brand new again. If you buy a new car at a branded dealership you should have no problems.:smile: 

• Like 5

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Got a truck from Nissan, 3 year warranty aslong as you get it serviced with them and use their in house insurance, claiming on the insurance was easy enough. We had a truck take our rear light out, police came and told him to pay the excess and tell the insurance company that it was a hit n run lol.

Wouldn't bother buying 2nd hand here, prices are really high. Ok if you're a local and know a good mechanic but foreigners would probably get ripped off.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Got a truck from Nissan, 3 year warranty aslong as you get it serviced with them and use their in house insurance, claiming on the insurance was easy enough. We had a truck take our rear light out, police came and told him to pay the excess and tell the insurance company that it was a hit n run lol.

Wouldn't bother buying 2nd hand here, prices are really high. Ok if you're a local and know a good mechanic but foreigners would probably get ripped off.

My mechanic who I have been with  going on 15 years now learned early that I don't except the "it's up to you" price for fixing the cars that I've had over the years. We are still friends even though I have a newer car. His wife and my GF are friends also. He is the one who put the bullnose and light bar on my Wrangler and repaired my 1994 Honda Accord countless times. Good and honest mechanics are out there. Just be patient. :cheersty:

carlson 063.jpg

20150626_171950.jpg

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

... and that is why I let others do the driving now.  :thumbsup:

I love to drive. Can't be comfortable when someone else is doing it for me. 

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I love to drive. Can't be comfortable when someone else is doing it for me. 

My lifelong passion... cars and motor sport, BUT:

Not quite so enjoyable when you've spent the past 50 years driving on 'the other side' of the road.... and cannot tolerate petty bureaucracy,  police robbery, terrible driving, horrible roads,  and shoddy workmanship.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Much easier to save myself a world of pain...and say "drive on James" . :shades:

Of course if I really fancy a blast around the track, then I can fire up my Xbox and race cars against people from all over the world. 

Choices... we all have them. :thumbsup:

400 Drag.jpg

My wheel.jpg

IMG_20170203_235512.JPG

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I love driving and riding motorbikes but I don’t drive much here, only when we need to use the Innova and the Wigo at the same time, otherwise the father in law drives. I ride the little Honda 125 more than I drive.  Driving on the other side of the road takes a lot of practice and rules on the road are very different to western countries.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I love driving and riding motorbikes but I don’t drive much here, only when we need to use the Innova and the Wigo at the same time, otherwise the father in law drives. I ride the little Honda 125 more than I drive.  Driving on the other side of the road takes a lot of practice and rules on the road are very different to western countries.

What "rules of the road"? There is only one rule- get there first! It's like they teach in fencing (sword fighting) class; to win you must "establish your right of way".

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3