Bletchley Park

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

I dont know if this is the right forum for this , but what I am about to chat about had a direct bearing on ending  WW2 early

I'm here with my job and I'm at a place called bletchley park, a name that probably does not mean a lot to most veterans or people in general , but this is the place where the worlds first computer was built , 

Polish resistance managed to smuggle out a German code machine to the UK the big problem was that the code could not be cracked, MI6 put together a team headed by a mathematician called Alan Turing , alan believed that a machine would have to be built to beat a machine , so he dreamt up a machine called colossus,a telephone engineer called Tommy flowers actually got it to.work

So the unbreakable german enigma code was broken here where I sit right now by a team from the UK who built the worlds first computer , IBM are full of poo as they claim to have built the worlds first

Bletchley park is credited with ending the war early and saving the lives of tens of thousands of soldiers 

If you get the chance watch the movie called imitation game and dont belive the fake news from Hollywood or IBM 

Have a nice day :-)

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

I dont know if this is the right forum for this , but what I am about to chat about had a direct bearing on ending  WW2 early

I'm here with my job and I'm at a place called bletchley park, a name that probably does not mean a lot to most veterans or people in general , but this is the place where the worlds first computer was built , 

Polish resistance managed to smuggle out a German code machine to the UK the big problem was that the code could not be cracked, MI6 put together a team headed by a mathematician called Alan Turing , alan believed that a machine would have to be built to beat a machine , so he dreamt up a machine called colossus,a telephone engineer called Tommy flowers actually got it to.work

So the unbreakable german enigma code was broken here where I sit right now by a team from the UK who built the worlds first computer , IBM are full of poo as they claim to have built the worlds first

Bletchley park is credited with ending the war early and saving the lives of tens of thousands of soldiers 

If you get the chance watch the movie called imitation game and dont belive the fake news from Hollywood or IBM 

Have a nice day :-)

I watched the movie a couple of times - an excellent story regardless of it's accuracy

• Like 2

Mick
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow did my first training in Bletchley Park..... 1981 I think, there was still all the old ww2 era stuff there then, before they did anything with it, pinched an old ww2 trench phone... Lol

Edited by Mick
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I was actually posted to the UK as an instructor whilst in the Royal Australian Navy, I was what variously known over the course of my career a ROES, EWT and finally, CTI.  In the UK, Scarborough, in the US, Ft Meade were a couple of my postings as instructor, student and on exchange as a billet filler :shades:.  So yeah, very familiar with the real history of Bletchley Park.  

What amazed me was the audacity of the Hollywood to completely alter who actually captured U-571; it was actually the Brits, not the US . Anyway, at the time the Allies had already captured several Enigma machines so it wasn't that much of a coup.   The movie was a combination of the sinking of both u-boats 571 and 110 with a large degree of artistic licence to the point it was mentioned in the British parliament disparagingly as an insult to British sailors.  

Take the movie for what it is, pure entertainment. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/25/u-571-reel-history

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mick said:

Wow did my first training in Bletchley Park..... 1981 I think, there was still all the old ww2 era stuff there then, before they did anything with it, pinched an old ww2 trench phone... Lol

Funny you should say that 

Theres a big poster with a wanted dead or Alive and a picture of a dodgy looking geezer on it ,its outside the big hut :mocking:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I was actually posted to the UK as an instructor whilst in the Royal Australian Navy, I was what variously known over the course of my career a ROES, EWT and finally, CTI.  In the UK, Scarborough, in the US, Ft Meade were a couple of my postings as instructor, student and on exchange as a billet filler :shades:.  So yeah, very familiar with the real history of Bletchley Park.  

What amazed me was the audacity of the Hollywood to completely alter who actually captured U-571; it was actually the Brits, not the US . Anyway, at the time the Allies had already captured several Enigma machines so it wasn't that much of a coup.   The movie was a combination of the sinking of both u-boats 571 and 110 with a large degree of artistic licence to the point it was mentioned in the British parliament disparagingly as an insult to British sailors.  

Take the movie for what it is, pure entertainment. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/25/u-571-reel-history

That movie really pisses me off ,hence my reference to Hollywood apparently the producers put that in at the end as they were threatened with court action , mick Jagger was fuming at them

The germans lost a lot of major battles the great tank battle at kursk and el alemain, the codebreakers had even cracked the German super code used by their general 

The Russians had months to prepare the battlefield at kursk ,bletchley park had sent them the entire German order of battle

The US and UK intelligence services today are built on the guys and gals from bletchley 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

As an American I will admit that it MIGHT have been the British that broke the Enigma code. However, I still can't figure out why you people insist on driving your cars on the incorrect side of the road!!:hystery:

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

As an American I will admit that it MIGHT have been the British that broke the Enigma code. However, I still can't figure out why you people insist on driving your cars on the incorrect side of the 

That's because driving on the left takes skills that are somewhat lacking across the pond :whistling:

• Haha 1

Mick
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

As an American I will admit that it MIGHT have been the British that broke the Enigma code. However, I still can't figure out why you people insist on driving your cars on the incorrect side of the road!!:hystery:

It comes from the sword and jousting, hence if you were left handed, you got burnt at the stake for being a witch, the sword was worn on your left to draw it easy with the right hand, and you attacked your foe with him in front of you to your right, so you could draw and slash in one movement , and when jousting, you held it in you right hand and ran at your opponent with him on your right..... There ya go... 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mick said:

It comes from the sword and jousting, hence if you were left handed, you got burnt at the stake for being a witch, the sword was worn on your left to draw it easy with the right hand, and you attacked your foe with him in front of you to your right, so you could draw and slash in one movement , and when jousting, you held it in you right hand and ran at your opponent with him on your right..... There ya go... 

Sorry to be an argumentative jock person ,but what about the Europeans,I thought they did jousting too:hystery:

• Like 1