Davao City

Lordtariq83
Posted
Posted

Was wondering how Davao city was as far as living goes??has anyone here ever lived there or spent a significant amount of time there?? On Youtube there seems to be a good amount opf expats giving this city praise as far as rental prices and safety go. Anyone have an opinnion on it?

Anselm
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lordtariq83 said:

Was wondering how Davao city was as far as living goes??has anyone here ever lived there or spent a significant amount of time there?? On Youtube there seems to be a good amount opf expats giving this city praise as far as rental prices and safety go. Anyone have an opinnion on it?

Are you still planning to stay 6 months? 

I've been here 3 years but I spend a decent amount of time in the provinces around these days. Davao is liveable but sometimes a bit boring when the options are malls or drinking. And then you can only drink until 1am here. But then if you get bored, there's plenty of places to see within let's say a 3-4 hour bus ride, so a good base. 

It's a bit more provincial than say Cebu, but everything you need it probably here, compared to somewhere like Bislig that you mentioned before. (You can get to Bislig in about 5 hours by bus by the way). 

Rental prices: you can get a studio apartment 6-10k (or more like 20k for a condo), 2 bedroom 15-25k, but I rent a house a bit further out of town and that costs me 10k. Depends whether you want to be right in the city or further out. 

Safety: yes. Surrounded by checkpoints and a lot of police cars on patrol. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Lordtariq83 said:

I first visited davao last June,since then I have been back three times , I have always felt safe in davao ,the authorities are stricter here and would appear to have things under control .

Like the previous poster I have chosen to live out in the province about 200 meters above sea level , I am still working in the UK but the rough plan is to be living there by October at the latest

As far as rents go ,you can get a condo for 24k a month plus Bill's, some of the houses in places a bit further out can be had for 8k plus bills ,but you get a lot if noisy chickens and dogs with that,my gf lives in catalunan grande and I find the noise not to my tastes 

There are places like Matina.square for night life and a few tourist attractions 

Jack's ridge is worth a visit for a meal, its expensive by local standards ,I've found some excellent small restaurants,one sea food restaurants we has 6 courses plus drinks and it came to 11 bucks ,the food was excellent

I now own a condo and have leased a farm lot up in the hills , I'm really looking forward to living there , I've found the locals on the whole friendly 

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I hear many good things about Davao. Unfortunately, I've yet to spend any time there.