Old fathers raising a child in the Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Well..I'm wrong for the first time this year.:smile: Thanks for pointing that out. I must have gotten some wrong information somewhere. Will start on the Filipino passport immediately. It pays to be on a good group like this. Thanx again.:wave:

But if your child was born here and doesn't travel outside why would he need a Filipino passport?  Maybe I've missed something though?

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But if your child was born here and doesn't travel outside why would he need a Filipino passport?  Maybe I've missed something though?

That's exactly the same thing I was thinking..truly. But just to be on the safe side, we will get one anyway. 

I was thinking that even though he has a US passport..born here in the Phills, what if he wants to go to Hong Kong or some other place? I think it's best to have both.:Count_Sheep:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In theory, that might be true but the problem comes up when people never get the Filipino passport and try to leave the country.  Is your child never going to leave the country?  It doesn't matter at what age.  Surely most kids of expats will end up leaving the country on vacation or whatever.

Read the FB press release and comments.  If you go to the airport for the first time, and only a foreign passport with no arrival stamp, and no ECC, what are they to do?  You are a tourist as far as they know.  You will be denied boarding until you get it sorted.  Luckily, in most cases, they let the person get the passport and don't charge them for years of overstay.  However, your trip was probably ruined and you lost the cost of your discount ticket.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

That's exactly the same thing I was thinking..truly. But just to be on the safe side, we will get one anyway. 

I was thinking that even though he has a US passport..born here in the Phills, what if he wants to go to Hong Kong or some other place? I think it's best to have both.:Count_Sheep:

Yes, I understand IF your kid is going to travel outside the Philippines he must have a Filipino passport when he comes back in otherwise he is a tourist travelling on an American passport but if no travel is planned then why maintain 2 passports?  My son was born in Hong Kong so we had to get him a Filipino passport to allow him to enter the Philippines and attend school here.  I haven't got him a UK passport yet as I don't see the point in maintaining 2 passports for a 6-year old!   If and when we think we may move to the UK we will organise then.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, I understand IF your kid is going to travel outside the Philippines he must have a Filipino passport when he comes back in otherwise he is a tourist travelling on an American passport but if no travel is planned then why maintain 2 passports?  My son was born in Hong Kong so we had to get him a Filipino passport to allow him to enter the Philippines and attend school here.  I haven't got him a UK passport yet as I don't see the point in maintaining 2 passports for a 6-year old!   If and when we think we may move to the UK we will organise then.

If you haven't done so, you should at least get the U.K. equivalent to CRBA (Certificate of birth abroad) done.  The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be.  You will need it for the passport.

The Philippine passport does not get your child into many countries without a visa, which takes time and money to get, and he might even be denied.  I have watched Filipinos at the U.S. Embassy get denied, and it is not fun.  You lose the application fee too.  With a UK visa, he can go to all the major destinations that might come up, without a visa.

My 4 year old has been to NZ and US, no visa needed.  My two year old has been to the US.  We plan to go to NZ again this year, so the 2 passports, PH and US, are used often.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, I understand IF your kid is going to travel outside the Philippines he must have a Filipino passport when he comes back in otherwise he is a tourist travelling on an American passport but if no travel is planned then why maintain 2 passports?

No, not quite right.  He needs the Filipino passport when he LEAVES, and RETURNS.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In theory, that might be true but the problem comes up when people never get the Filipino passport and try to leave the country.  Is your child never going to leave the country?  It doesn't matter at what age.  Surely most kids of expats will end up leaving the country on vacation or whatever.

Read the FB press release and comments.  If you go to the airport for the first time, and only a foreign passport with no arrival stamp, and no ECC, what are they to do?  You are a tourist as far as they know.  You will be denied boarding until you get it sorted.  Luckily, in most cases, they let the person get the passport and don't charge them for years of overstay.  However, your trip was probably ruined and you lost the cost of your discount ticket.

That happened to a Brit and his son here in Dumaguete.He had to pay all the back visa costs and the fine before they would let his son travel.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If you haven't done so, you should at least get the U.K. equivalent to CRBA (Certificate of birth abroad) done.

I was going to register my daughters birth with the British Embassy a few years ago but was told they stopped it.I cannot find any current info on this it all comes from around2013.

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

You don't need to register in the UK, can use Filipino birth certificate to apply for UK passport.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I was going to register my daughters birth with the British Embassy a few years ago but was told they stopped it.I cannot find any current info on this it all comes from around2013.

You can still do it online but there is a hefty fee and it gives absolutely no benefit at all unless your child's birth was not registered in their country of birth.  As long as you have the original birth certificate then  nothing else is needed.

• Like 1