Old fathers raising a child in the Philippines

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

You don't need to register in the UK, can use Filipino birth certificate to apply for UK passport.

This is correct - as long as you have the original birth certificate from country of birth that is all that is needed for UK passport.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

You don't need to register in the UK, can use Filipino birth certificate to apply for UK passport.

I know I can get her a UK passport but the facility to just register her birth is what I am writing about.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

In theory, that might be true but the problem comes up when people never get the Filipino passport and try to leave the country.  Is your child never going to leave the country?  It doesn't matter at what age.  Surely most kids of expats will end up leaving the country on vacation or whatever.

Read the FB press release and comments.  If you go to the airport for the first time, and only a foreign passport with no arrival stamp, and no ECC, what are they to do?  You are a tourist as far as they know.  You will be denied boarding until you get it sorted.  Luckily, in most cases, they let the person get the passport and don't charge them for years of overstay.  However, your trip was probably ruined and you lost the cost of your discount ticket.

I think we're at cross purposes - I was merely stating the fact that nobody requires a passport unless they are going to travel.  If they are going to travel, the passport surely should either match that departure point OR include some kind of visa etc as a tourist.  Anything else is likely to create a headache.  I think we are agreeing on that?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

If you haven't done so, you should at least get the U.K. equivalent to CRBA (Certificate of birth abroad) done.  The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be.  You will need it for the passport.

The Philippine passport does not get your child into many countries without a visa, which takes time and money to get, and he might even be denied.  I have watched Filipinos at the U.S. Embassy get denied, and it is not fun.  You lose the application fee too.  With a UK visa, he can go to all the major destinations that might come up, without a visa.

My 4 year old has been to NZ and US, no visa needed.  My two year old has been to the US.  We plan to go to NZ again this year, so the 2 passports, PH and US, are used often.

There is no such certificate for the UK, although there is for the Philippines and obviously for the US according to your comments.  The UK simply requires the original birth certificate (or a certified copy maybe?)

I agree the UK passport has more value than the Filipino, but I'm just not sure it justifies the hassle for me at this time. 

We Brits don't have the same affinity to our passports as you guys! :tongue:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I know I can get her a UK passport but the facility to just register her birth is what I am writing about.

In case you missed my post on the previous page - it can be done online but there is no need IF you have the original birth certificate from the country of birth of your child.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted

No, not quite right.  He needs the Filipino passport when he LEAVES, and RETURNS.

Sorry - yes, of course!  I was merely referring to the status on re-entering the country which is the crux of the matter.  I'd imagine anyone should use the same passport to re-enter a country as they exited with otherwise the immigration records will not match up?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There is no such certificate for the UK, although there is for the Philippines and obviously for the US according to your comments.  The UK simply requires the original birth certificate (or a certified copy maybe?)

I agree the UK passport has more value than the Filipino, but I'm just not sure it justifies the hassle for me at this time. 

We Brits don't have the same affinity to our passports as you guys! :tongue:

Yes, sorry if I confused the issue.  I assumed that most Western countries had a similar CRBA process.

For the foreign born kids we are talking about, the U.S. CRBA is the guts of getting the U.S. passport.  Birth records, interviews of parents and kids, DNA test if needed.  I guess the UK must incorporate similar checks into the passport process.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, sorry if I confused the issue.  I assumed that most Western countries had a similar CRBA process.

For the foreign born kids we are talking about, the U.S. CRBA is the guts of getting the U.S. passport.  Birth records, interviews of parents and kids, DNA test if needed.  I guess the UK must incorporate similar checks into the passport process.

No worries!  We have a voluntary system but it is really not necessary to follow as long as you have the original birth certificate.  Honestly speaking, I haven't gone through the process so I don't know what's involved in reality.  I naively though it would simply require the Child's birth certificate naming the father/mother  and a copy of the father's/mother's  birth certificate or passport and some evidence the parent actually lived in the UK in the past.  Nothing I've read mentions interviews/DNA tests etc.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

In case you missed my post on the previous page - it can be done online but there is no need IF you have the original birth certificate from the country of birth of your child.  

I have her original birth certificate.I think we are on cross  purposes as I was told they no longer do it.Maybe they substituted the old method with the online form.When I have finished building I will probably apply for the UK and Philippine passport but as you say I don`t need the hassle at this time.I can fulfill all the requirements they require.The only bugbear I have is that my wife will have to go to Cebu city to do that seminar to get her passport.Do you have a link for registering my daughter online. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Nothing I've read mentions interviews/DNA tests etc.

The embassy warden here in Dumaguete had to go to the consulate in Cebu city to do a video interview.They may ask for DNA if they have any doubts about the legitimacy of the application IE maybe a lack of photos or some other thing which crosses their mind.Another friend went back to the UK and did the application and got his sons passport in about 10 weeks.I have been told to send everything you have so they maybe they will not ask for more bits and pieces all the time.

• Like 2