nor cal mike

Old fathers raising a child in the Philippines

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

if we were to travel as family we'd either choose a place no visa was required (63 countries to choose from) or accept we needed a Visa for both my wife and son rather than just my wife. 

Visa and passport are two different things. Can't travel without a passport. 

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Visa and passport are two different things. Can't travel without a passport. 

Well of course they are 2 different things,  but the discussion was about the value of the passport which  is measured by the number of countries which can be visited Visa-free.  

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd say you can travel within much of Europe without a passport as an EU Citizen :tongue:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Well of course they are 2 different things,  but the discussion was about the value of the passport which  is measured by the number of countries which can be visited Visa-free.  

If I wanted to be pedantic I'd say you can travel within much of Europe without a passport as an EU Citizen :tongue:

Only for a few more weeks so you better get that trip in soon.

• Haha 1

If the child has no passport, i don't care who they are, they wont get on a plane. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

2 hours ago, Clermont said:

If the child has no passport, i don't care who they are, they wont get on a plane. :thumbsup:

You guys need to read or reread the whole story.  HK Blues kid has a Philippines passport.  He is just questioning the need for a British passport at this age.

• Thanks 1

I don’t care if their is no scenario under the sun causing the child to need it I got the U.S passport. Life happens. That document is profoundly important. In this thread subject is U.K passport. Same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RubberChicken said:

I don’t care if their is no scenario under the sun causing the child to need it I got the U.S passport. Life happens. That document is profoundly important. In this thread subject is U.K passport. Same thing.

My kid has a Filipino passport. I have already stated my plans to get him a UK passport at some point. 

Regardless, you seem to be implying the US/UK passport is somehow more important than the Filipino one? More valuable they undoubtedly are due to the greater number of places that can be visited visa-free - but, more important to a kid born in Hong Kong to a British father and a Filipino mother who lives in the Philippines - we'll have to agree to differ on that point.

Being able to travel to a destination visa free is not the point. Many countries won't let you in with a filipino passport where you would breeze in on a western passport.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Being able to travel to a destination visa free is not the point. Many countries won't let you in with a filipino passport where you would breeze in on a western passport.

I personally think that immigration laws are just not confusing enough.:89: Got my son a US passport and am in the process of getting the Filipino one just to be on the safe side.:whatever:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I personally think that immigration laws are just not confusing enough.:89: Got my son a US passport and am in the process of getting the Filipino one just to be on the safe side.:whatever:

There's nothing wrong with  the belt n braces approach and fair play to all who've faced the hassle of getting both for their kids.

• Like 1