Beer

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

When I am in Australia for a break my favourite beer is Carlton Draft, especially when it is super cold, and I can have a dozen stubbies on average without waking up with a hangover.

But when I get back to the Philippines if I have 6 to 8 bottles on average I wake up with a monster headache, be it San Mig Pilsener, super dry, or whatever falls into the shopping basket.

Years ago while working overseas I used to get the same headaches after drinking Anchor beer and sometimes Tiger, but never a headache back in Aus.

I was discussing this with a long time friend who used to get the same headaches as me from Anchor beer at the time and he puts it down to there being Formaldehyde in the brewing process, which supposedly helps the beer travel better on the trucks to the long destinations it has to go to, supposedly it stops the beer from frothing up in the can.

Many years ago I was in Darwin for cyclone Tracey and apart from wrecking the town it also destroyed the brewery, so there was supplies sent up from Sydney and Melbourne by truck, the beer being for local consumption in both cities. So sitting in a bar in Darwin one would flip the lid of the can and half the contents of the can would spew out as foam, as it did not travel well.

On a similar note I never drink beer out of a bottle here in the province because of what is called Sun Blight, where the bottles sit in a yard and get hit by the sun which also alters the beers flavour, it actually tastes as though the beer if off, which happened here at a restaurant that I had 6 beers and they all tasted off.

So what is the formaldehyde doing to our bodies? I did google the contents of San Mig and there it is in black and white, as well as Chang beer and Tiger.

Onto the wine, or a good Gin & Tonic.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Sun Blight, where the bottles sit in a yard and get hit by the sun which also alters the beers flavour, it actually tastes as though the beer if off,

:thumbsup: Something I have talked to my Sori Sori owner about Until I am Blue in the face, he tells me that even when he takes a delivery he would never know what has happened in the depot, which I can understand, He now keeps the 3/4 crates of my Tipple undercover but still he would not know what happened before :89: Anyway, apart from going to Town or anywhere for a beer I always try and stay away from San Mig and stay onbeer sori sori.jpg Beer na Beer and it seems not to have that Headache effect so much, Such is my experience :smile:

More and More Bars are now stocking Beer Na Beer here in Dumaguete so my choice of bar is not as Limited as has been the Case for some years :ohmy:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Jack, some of the text was covered by the photo of the San Mig bottle, what is the name of the beer you mentioned please?

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Jack, saw it mate, where is Beer Na Beer made?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Jack, saw it mate, where is Beer Na Beer made?

In the Philippines by ASIA  Breweries.

Asia Brewery

Beverage company

Description

Asia Brewery, Inc. is a Philippines-based diversified beverage company owned by LT Group, Inc., a publicly listed holding company of Lucio Tan.Wikipedia

Parent organization: LT Group

Headquarters: Makati

Founder: Lucio Tan

Founded: 1982

Area served: Philippines

Subsidiaries: AB Heineken Philippines Inc, MOREimage.png

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I don't get a headache here unless I drink to excess (I stick to SM Light and occasionally  Pilsen) but there are a few beers which do always give me a headache - one of those is Tiger and another is Stella.  

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't get a headache here unless I drink to excess (I stick to SM Light and occasionally  Pilsen) but there are a few beers which do always give me a headache - one of those is Tiger and another is Stella.  

Red Horse gives me a headache if I drink too many, pilsen I never get a headache even after half of a case 

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Red Horse gives me a headache if I drink too many, pilsen I never get a headache even after half of a case 

I like beer..it makes me a jolly good fellow. Got tired of having to go piss every 5 min. So I switched to Orange flavored Bar Vodka with water. :cheersty:

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I like beer..it makes me a jolly good fellow. Got tired of having to go piss every 5 min. So I switched to Orange flavored Bar Vodka with water. :cheersty:

Got told by my doctor to drink plenty of fluids, that was 30 years ago. Had kidney stones. :hungover_40_anim_gif:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t think Aussies should be allowed to drink anyway.

• Haha 1