Amazon Prime Video Not Fooled By VPN!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have been watching some videos on Amazon Prime Video for the last 6 months or so, by using PureVPN.  Actually, mostly it was for some kids videos.

Tonight I tried to let my daughter watch and it had "This video is not available in your location", despite having my VPN set to New York.

I closed my browser and tried again.  Rebooted and tried again.  Same thing.  I did not clear my browser cache.

Has anybody experienced this with Amazon or other sites?  Somehow they are ignoring the VPN location and using other criteria to flag me as being overseas.

I will contact PureVPN and see what they say.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

It be useful to know if it still van be done,have you cleared out your history and cookies ?

strap
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm still in the States, but planning a move to the Philippines in a few months. I installed ExpressVPN several days ago, and have been using it to make sure I understand how to use a VPN and see what issues I might run into. I've tried Netflix several times with different US server locations, and so far every time  I start loading a show to watch I get the message from Netflix "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again."

I just now tried Amazon Prime Video with the VPN and got the same message you did, "This title isn't available in your location."

So, I don't think they know that you're in the Philippines, or necessarily even know that you're not in the US. But they are detecting that you're trying to access their service via a VPN, and are blocking it just based on that.

It's kind of worrisome if sites like Netflix and Amazon are getting better at detecting and blocking connections from VPNs. Because if they can do it, so can other more important sites, banks for example.

Edited by strap
  • Like 1

TimL
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have been watching some videos on Amazon Prime Video for the last 6 months or so, by using PureVPN.  Actually, mostly it was for some kids videos.

Tonight I tried to let my daughter watch and it had "This video is not available in your location", despite having my VPN set to New York.

I closed my browser and tried again.  Rebooted and tried again.  Same thing.  I did not clear my browser cache.

Has anybody experienced this with Amazon or other sites?  Somehow they are ignoring the VPN location and using other criteria to flag me as being overseas.

I will contact PureVPN and see what they say.

Yes OMW, it’s been happening to me now for the past month or so. I have three vpns, Express, IPVanish and Private internet access. I was finally able to get Express to work the other night by using Express along with Firefox in Private mode. 

I have no issues with Netflix, DirecTV, Kodi etc. On any of the VPN’s. It could in fact be a browser cache issue but, I am not clearing my primary browsers cache. I stay logged into too many things with my Company back in the US to go through the hassle of clearing everything out and having to relog in. 

Edited by TimL
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is another weird thing that has been going on with Facebook.  A lot of friends and family are in the U.S.  I keep getting this message:

Screenshot (403).png

Then when I use VPN, it shows fine:

Screenshot (404).png

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 1/30/2019 at 2:25 AM, strap said:

I'm still in the States, but planning a move to the Philippines in a few months. I installed ExpressVPN several days ago, and have been using it to make sure I understand how to use a VPN and see what issues I might run into. I've tried Netflix several times with different US server locations, and so far every time  I start loading a show to watch I get the message from Netflix "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again."

I just now tried Amazon Prime Video with the VPN and got the same message you did, "This title isn't available in your location."

So, I don't think they know that you're in the Philippines, or necessarily even know that you're not in the US. But they are detecting that you're trying to access their service via a VPN, and are blocking it just based on that.

It's kind of worrisome if sites like Netflix and Amazon are getting better at detecting and blocking connections from VPNs. Because if they can do it, so can other more important sites, banks for example.

My bank (Chase) doesn't care where I am as long as I'm not an official resident of the Philippines. 

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Have never used Netflix service or paid for anything like Amazon Prime here in the Phills. The programs you want to watch will eventually end up being uploaded to a download site. KAT.CR..Pirate Bay, etc. Netflix will sometimes not allow the audio to be uploaded but I use Format Factory to take care of that problem.:smile:

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

On 1/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, OnMyWay said:

Somehow they are ignoring the VPN location and using other criteria to flag me as being overseas.

Not ignoring your VPN, but seeing your VPN. They know the IP allocations for the VPN company. It's getting much harder to legally watch what you pay for if you leave your country.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Has anyone tried using the Tor browser rather than a VPN? It runs your session through several different countries for extra privacy.

TimL
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Has anyone tried using the Tor browser rather than a VPN? It runs your session through several different countries for extra privacy.

Yes but, TOR tends to be extremely slow.