Health issues since moving to Philippines

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I personally have experienced health issues adjusting to the climate in Philippines, which I mainly blamed on the extremes of temperature between Air Conditioning and outside temperatures. But it would be interesting to find out if over a long period of time, how more permament members have coped with the climate and if they have experienced any illness which they feel were due to living in a hot country.

At the moment I am shivering in  2c temp with snow in UK, while I fear for our American Cousins are experiencing extreme weather which could see temperatures dropping to 20-30 below! :umbrella_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

I personally have experienced health issues adjusting to the climate in Philippines, which I mainly blamed on the extremes of temperature between Air Conditioning and outside temperatures. But it would be interesting to find out if over a long period of time, how more permament members have coped with the climate and if they have experienced any illness which they feel were due to living in a hot country.

At the moment I am shivering in  2c temp with snow in UK, while I fear for our American Cousins are experiencing extreme weather which could see temperatures dropping to 20-30 below! :umbrella_80_anim_gif:

I have not had any real health issues except my hayfever is troubling me more often here as there is nearly always some plant shedding it`s pollen,I can easily take care of that with neozep which has anti histamines in them or so I am told but they work for me.

Aircon can be a problem if it is too low and it is hot outside some places here are 10c below what it is outside and that is not good.You have to be more careful with cuts and nicks here as they can be prone to infection more so than the UK.When I lived in Cebu city I had a cough most of the time but I am sure that was down to pollution.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

As a visitor to mostly metro Cebu City area We suffer nose and throat problems. Like Kevin, likely due to poor air quality. My wife and I think the aircon has an effect as well. 

Good topic. I’m curious to know what Expats experiences are health wise?

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice topic.

My health over all is seriously better in Philippines than colder climates. Currently in NZ and aches and pains have increased 10 fold. The cold climate has a lot to answer for.

We have nice air where we live in Philippines, keep active and eat fresh mostly natural foods. A/C set high at 27 which suits.  Health at 68 is just fine. Maybe a considerable younger partner helps.....not sure on that one.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Bugs love it here, especially at this time of year when it's warm and particularly damp. Pneumonia is endemic and easy to catch.Only time in my life I've been in hospital with an actual illness.

Living an airconned  life is not ideal but I prefer it to trying to sit/sleep in a pool of sweat. Strangely I don't mind the heat when I'm outside and don't sweat too much. I can play a round of golf without having to resort to toweling myself down at all, unlike some of my friends who have to on every hole.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Pneumonia is endemic and easy to catch.Only time in my life I've been in hospital with an actual illness.

I had the vaccination at Watsons pharmacy it was less than 1kpeso and is good for 5 years or so they say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I have been living as an expat on and off, for periods of up to 3 years, since 1990.

99% of the time I have enjoyed (touch wood) perfect health. 

I tend to lose weight during the first few weeks living here, after being in the UK, then gradually put it back on... though I'm always of slim build.

I have never used air-con in any home I've had here, and never will do.  A damned menace to health, as far as I can see. 

Fans are fine for me and my family, and a LOT cheaper on electricity !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I have never used air-con in any home I've had here, and never will do.  A damned menace to health, as far as I can see. 

Fans are fine for me and my family, and a LOT cheaper on electricity !

In what way do you think aircon is bad for your health Graham? Not saying I disagree with you.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, graham59 said:

99% of the time I have enjoyed (touch wood) perfect health. 

Having been forced to Retire in 2012 ( I had a Stroke) my Health has actually improved from when I lived in Spain, Sometimes it seems they can get get things right ( For me Certainly)

12 minutes ago, graham59 said:

A damned menace to health,

Talking about Fans versus A/C I have found to the Contrary, Fans tend to give my muscles a Problem although, We do use Fans, I tend to sit a way off but can't do that when sleeping, we keep a small Bowl of Water in the Bedroom to keep the atmosphere a little more Humid, I guess this what you mean A/C tends to yield too dry an Atmosphere? As to moving any infections around, My doctor would Disagree with that :wink: 

• Like 1