Health issues since moving to Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I have had amoebic dysentery twice since moving here in 2013.  The first time I tried "treating" it with immodium thinking it was common diarrhea.   After three days my wife convinced me to go to the doctor when I started to get weak.  Turned out I was badly dehydrated and the doctor treated me with IV and meds to treat the dysentery.  Being dehydrated caused kidney stones which required a visit to Cebu City as there is no hospital close.  I then ended up catching the flu either from contact in the ER or from riding the bus to and from the city. :angry:

The other issue specific (I think) to living here was when my left hand swelled to the size of a boxing glove and I developed sepsis.  This again required a trip to the city where the doctor said it probably started as some sort of bug bite.

I seldom use AC and if I do I set to 26 or 27.  I do this maybe once a month mostly just to keep the seals from drying out and damaging the AC unit.  I only required AC at first while sleeping.  I acclimated myself by increasing the temperature one degree a month until I reached 26.  Just returned from an overnight stay in Cebu City and I damn near froze when the room temp was set to 22 on entry.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Nice topic on health and now seems aircon also.

Moved here early 2016.  I'm 58, wife 52, daughter 13.  I had one trip to the ER with high fever but treated and released within an hour and daughter one trip for cut food on broken tile in swimming pool.  I think the temp setting of aircon is somewhat related to age.  Just a few years back I needed it as cold as it would go.  Then after moving into our house last year we usually had it set at 22-23.  Now at 24 I sometimes feel cool.  Even our daughter has move up from 21 to 23 in her bedroom.  Other than the past few days with the milder weather and no aircon needed,(for us), it usually runs 24 hours a day in whatever room we are in.  No way would I live here without it.  Heck for that matter I would not be without aircon in the summer in my home in the states.:tiphat:

• Like 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted

Same for me and same reason I think, must of got the flu about 10 times in the 2 years I've been here. Got ill about once every 3 years in the UK.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I find my health is actually better in the Philippines, when it gets under 0 degrees during winter in Australia and I’m outside my mild angina acts up.  Also I seem to get lung infections in Australia about every 2nd cold winter (despite flu vaccinations).  Haven’t had that happen here.  My hay fever happens both places but is much worse in Oz.  I eat less junk food here and I walk more so I tend to lose a bit of weight here and not in Oz but I’m down 12kg on 2 years ago when I started trying to improve my health and my doctor is pleased.  Most of that happened here.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have not had any real health issues except my hayfever is troubling me more often here as there is nearly always some plant shedding it`s pollen,I can easily take care of that with neozep which has anti histamines in them or so I am told but they work for me.

Aircon can be a problem if it is too low and it is hot outside some places here are 10c below what it is outside and that is not good.You have to be more careful with cuts and nicks here as they can be prone to infection more so than the UK.When I lived in Cebu city I had a cough most of the time but I am sure that was down to pollution.

Bless you, for the allergies. I had horrible, ragweed, mountain cedar, allergies. But I haven't run into either one here. I have run into bronchitis though, but only if I were taking public transportation. In my sealed aircon car, I have not had any problems. I believe it's a combination of being packed in like sardines and traffic not moving fast enough to sweep dust from the road, but plenty fast enough to stir it up. Just a theory, but it fits the observations.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Having been forced to Retire in 2012 ( I had a Stroke) my Health has actually improved from when I lived in Spain, Sometimes it seems they can get get things right ( For me Certainly)

Talking about Fans versus A/C I have found to the Contrary, Fans tend to give my muscles a Problem although, We do use Fans, I tend to sit a way off but can't do that when sleeping, we keep a small Bowl of Water in the Bedroom to keep the atmosphere a little more Humid, I guess this what you mean A/C tends to yield too dry an Atmosphere? As to moving any infections around, My doctor would Disagree with that :wink: 

I'm the opposite. I can't get a good sleep at night with aircon. I use the aircon in the bedroom maybe 5 hours a day during the hottest times of the year between 10 am or so till around 3 or 4 pm. I bought a 150 watt industrial fan that I put at the head of the bed when I want to go to sleep and it works great for me. Also the "white noise" it makes drowns out all of the other distractions like barking dogs and loud tricycles. I get hay fever about twice a year that makes me feel miserable for 2 or 3 days but other than that:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I get by with ceiling fans, this month not needed any fans at all recently night or day.

Even in hot summer days I just sit under a fan or go for a swim in the sea, helps if you live near the sea :867:

Just too add, since moving here permanently 2 years ago, my Knees have felt better, back in England I could hardly walk, also my shoulder feels better.

Edited by jimeve
added comment
  • Like 3

Foreigner
Posted
Posted

My health actually improved in the Philippines.  I no longer need the half dozen prescription medicines that I used in the States.

As far as Aircon, my wife shuts it off after running it for only 5 minutes because she gets the chills.  However, she doesn't mind the wall-mounted electric fan that I always keep turned on with the highest setting.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Several mentioned more frequent and longer lasting coughs. Most likely due to the air pollution. That happened to me and after almost 2 years in the Philippines I was diagnosed with COPD. But started having the symptoms of coughs that took a long time to go away shortly after I arrived. I sometimes wonder if the exposure to all the air pollution helped to trigger the COPD.

• Like 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

Even if we where all young It feels like old men comparing notes!

One time reaction to an insect bite. This mosquito had extremely bad ju ju. Instant reaction like poison injection. Ignored the bite. Days later physician at same grocery store as me approached- casually mentioned my leg was being eaten. No idea what that ment but instant trip for treatment. Scars remain. Still have leg. An example of an intelligent caring Filipino helping for no reason, too.

• Like 4