USA - Medicare Part B

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It seems like we may have discussed this before.  JR, where are you?

I was in Baypointe Hospital in Subic and saw this sign on the reception desk?  Any experiences?  I turn 65 in two years and it would be nice to be able to use at least some Part B benefits.

20190129_132506 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

Good info OMW.....thanks for sharing.  I'm very close to your situation.  I think I will email James O'Neil to see if he can provide more info.  It was my understanding that it would affect my military benefits.......but it seems I'm wrong (nothing new ......just ask my wife )  I will share any info I get with you.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Peaceful John said:

Good info OMW.....thanks for sharing.  I'm very close to your situation.  I think I will email James O'Neil to see if he can provide more info.  It was my understanding that it would affect my military benefits.......but it seems I'm wrong (nothing new ......just ask my wife )  I will share any info I get with you.

I already contacted him and he got back to me right away.  Key points though:

• It is only available at Baypointe Hospital in Subic and a few doctors in Manila, at some good hospitals.
  • He calls the Manila system doctor based, but the hospital based system in Subic works better, so they are hoping to convert Manila to that.
  • They are hoping to get Medical City Clark on board.

I won't go into all the details but it seems legit and I guess legal.  You need to maintain a California address which they can help with.

E-mail him for more details.  I will definitely be looking at it when I turn 65 in 2022.

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Great topic as it would be good to be able to use Medicare in P.I. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

You need to maintain a California address which they can help with.

That could be a problem for some who would rather keep their US home address in a state with low or no income taxes.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

That could be a problem for some who would rather keep their US home address in a state with low or no income taxes.

If you wanted, the CA address could only be used for the HMO address and you can still use another address.

However, I think there is some confusion on the state tax issue and addresses.  If you are living in the Philippines, you can file your Federal tax with your Philippines address, like I do.  I use a California mailing address, and twice in six years the California computer has sent me letters saying they think I need to file a CA income tax return.  At the instructions of my CPA, I just sent them a letter saying that I don't live in CA and only get mail at the address.  They go away.

However, I would agree that it is safest to maintain your address in a no income tax state.

marine6357
Posted
Posted

I am 52 and collecting SSD and have medicare with a medicare advantage plan currently. My thinking was when I do make the move over there to drop both the premiums I pay for MAP and the $135 per month for original medicare. But this could surely change that if they can provide a similar service while living there.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, marine6357 said:

I am 52 and collecting SSD and have medicare with a medicare advantage plan currently. My thinking was when I do make the move over there to drop both the premiums I pay for MAP and the $135 per month for original medicare. But this could surely change that if they can provide a similar service while living there.

Given the limited locations of this scheme, it could impact your decision on where to live!

I just hope it is completely legal and above board!  Quote from his e-mail to me:

"The outpatient benefits here are actually contracted and paid for by a doctor in Los Angeles.  He's from the Philippines but has been practicing in the US for almost 30 years.  The program grew out of an idea he had to help keep his patients that travel to the Philippines for extended periods of time covered."

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

"The outpatient benefits here are actually contracted and paid for by a doctor in Los Angeles.  He's from the Philippines but has been practicing in the US for almost 30 years.  The program grew out of an idea he had to help keep his patients that travel to the Philippines for extended periods of time covered."

I would be looking at the legal side to see if this is legit. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I would be looking at the legal side to see if this is legit. 

Yes, I am 2+ years away from being able to use it.  I asked him to put me on their mailing list and I will certainly be trying to find out more.