Just arrived in the Philippines, now trying to decide where to live

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
On 2/1/2019 at 2:28 AM, Jimmyzr1 said:

Hello, I arrived in the Philippines on 1/15/2018 and my girlfriend, her son and I are trying to decide where in this country to live? We met online in May, I traveled around the country a little (30 days) with her in September/ October, we visited Davao City, Iloilo, Tagaytay, Subic, only a day near Clark because of a Typhoon, a a few days in Manila. We are now staying near her family in Malolos, Bulacan, which I’m starting to get very bored with, actually both of us are.  We will be staying here until mid-April until her son is finished with the school year. 

We are hoping to find as safe an area as possible, with enough foreigners, where I will not get bored, hopefully with wives or girlfriends that have expat group get togethers, possibly as well. Another important thing, I would like to find a good, private school for her son to attend, one where her son would not get bored, and where they actually teach the students something. Another thing, it would be nice to be close enough  to an airport, good hospital care, as well. My favorite hobby in the US was metal detecting, so if close enough to a nice and safe beach area would be great as well. I would hope to make friends with other expats that may want to go out metal detecting as well, for security and to enjoy the hobby. 

We would prefer to live in a safe housing area instead of condos as well. We are looking to rent as well. We know, this is asking a lot, but I just sold everything in California and moved here, hoping for a less stressful and enjoyable life. Oh, one more thing, I am a US veteran as well and can use VA facilities as well, on occasion for checkups, but don’t have to live near Manila, but may need medical insurance as well. Thanks, I appreciate your time. Jim

Welcome Jimmy, hope you enjoy the forum. When we are in the P.I. We live in Butuan City, a medium size city (300k) which is located in the northeast corner of Mindanao. Modern city with lots of expats, nice beaches, airport, hospitals, golf course and lots of friendly and welcoming locals. Best of luck in your search.

• Like 2

Jimmyzr1
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice, we are going to be checking out places starting after the 15th of this month.

• Like 1