No deposit in my account.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

But, aren't you wasting money in fees?

Good question, hk. Only with wire transfers - which are very few and mainly only for the future house construction.

At risk of violating forum rules, I will say only that I have investment and bank accounts with Charles Schwab in USA. They reimburse me for all (I mean ALL)  fees that I incurre at ATMs worldwide. It sometimes amounts to over US$20/month that they reimburse me...

• Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

But, aren't you wasting money in fees?  For example, both my UK banks charge around 25-50 gbp per electronic transfer.  It would mount up if done regularly

I can only speak for myself but I don't do bank transfers very often, mostly I send using World Remit (1st option) or Western Union (2nd option) or I withdraw cash (up to 10000 peso at an ATM in the Philippines.  I've only done 2 bank transfers in the last 2 years.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I can only speak for myself but I don't do bank transfers very often, mostly I send using World Remit (1st option) or Western Union (2nd option) or I withdraw cash (up to 10000 peso at an ATM in the Philippines.  I've only done 2 bank transfers in the last 2 years.

Understand.  I just stick with the traditional method as i feel I don't get screwed on rates or fees (well, at least i know what they are) - it's only once a year or less so I can live with the fees.  I was just surprised that some survive here without a local bank but I can see how it can work.  Also, the UK tax authorities don't care about money held outside the UK so no reporting red-tape to worry about for UK citizens.  

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

For what it's worth... I agree with some previous responders here. I have my checks automatically deposited in an institution in USA. Then I just do wire transfers or hit the ATMs here for cash. This works so well, so far...

I used have a certain amount of money..for example purposes 1k US in a local bank. I would go into the bank on payday and write a check for deposit for 1k and at the same time fill out a withdrawal slip for 1k. No fees, just the minute cost of the paper check. I stopped doing this when the lines started getting up to 2 hrs long and just went back to the ATM machines. BTW  here in Cavite at the ATM machine I use the machines are only putting out P500 bills for 2 months in a row. Weird. Used to be only P1,000 bills.:89:  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I use the machines are only putting out P500 bills for 2 months in a row. Weird. Used to be only P1,000 bills.:89:  

There are tons of ATMs here in Davao. Sometimes the machines dispense 500s (hate that) but mostly 1,000s. There is no rhyme or reason that I see - just like there isn't rhyme or reason for a lot of things that occur here...? I think there is just a distribution problem. For over a month in January and February, it seemed that all machines - whichever bank - all paid out brand new 1,000s and even sequential order - nice and crispy...

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

There are tons of ATMs here in Davao. Sometimes the machines dispense 500s (hate that) but mostly 1,000s. There is no rhyme or reason that I see - just like there isn't rhyme or reason for a lot of things that occur here...? I think there is just a distribution problem. For over a month in January and February, it seemed that all machines - whichever bank - all paid out brand new 1,000s and even sequential order - nice and crispy...

They did that here too. I think maybe Banko Central sent the banks a bunch of P500 notes just to put them in the system.:shades:

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

They did that here too. I think maybe Banko Central sent the banks a bunch of P500 notes just to put them in the system.:shades:

I just wish they had bigger notes... No, not larger in size (just being specific), but larger denominations. I do not like walking around with my wallet or pocket bulging with these P1,000 notes when I need to pay for anything a bit expensive...

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I used have a certain amount of money..for example purposes 1k US in a local bank. I would go into the bank on payday and write a check for deposit for 1k and at the same time fill out a withdrawal slip for 1k. No fees, just the minute cost of the paper check. I stopped doing this when the lines started getting up to 2 hrs long and just went back to the ATM machines. BTW  here in Cavite at the ATM machine I use the machines are only putting out P500 bills for 2 months in a row. Weird. Used to be only P1,000 bills.:89:  

I usually withdraw 10,000 - My BPI issues 1,000 notes, My Metrobank mostly 1,000s and a couple of 500s but another I use (Landbank maybe) issues a mixture of 1,000s, 500s, 200s and 100s!  It doesn't matter to me though - my wife spends all denominations equally well! 

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I just wish they had bigger notes... No, not larger in size (just being specific), but larger denominations. I do not like walking around with my wallet or pocket bulging with these P1,000 notes when I need to pay for anything a bit expensive...

I could be wrong, I've been wrong a few times, but I think they are following the example of the US and other developed countries to keep the denomination low so counterfeiters and drug dealers have a harder time dealing with the amount of money to move.:biggrin: 

• Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I usually withdraw 10,000 - My BPI issues 1,000 notes, My Metrobank mostly 1,000s and a couple of 500s but another I use (Landbank maybe) issues a mixture of 1,000s, 500s, 200s and 100s!  It doesn't matter to me though - my wife spends all denominations equally well! 

I use BPI also. P20,000 per draw every 24 hours. My US credit union allows $600.00 per day.:smile:

• Like 1