Dancing in the Philippines?

Chazrob0914
Posted
Posted

Im just wondering if any of you guys have experience with dancing in Phils?  I have a passion for dancing and want that to be part of my life there.  I am sure it is available in Manila, but what about in the provinces?  What style?  Good teachers and social dance scene?  Many thanks.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Chazrob0914 said:

Im just wondering if any of you guys have experience with dancing in Phils?  I have a passion for dancing and want that to be part of my life there.  I am sure it is available in Manila, but what about in the provinces?  What style?  Good teachers and social dance scene?  Many thanks.

Wow, a nice looking Texan that would capture all the Filipina's heart as the next Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire.  When is your next class, sign me up (seriously)!  I walk with two left feet.....dancing?  Forgetaboutit!  

Welcome to the forum sir.  Respectfully Jake  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

What style of dancing? What kind of music?

All I have seen here is discos. They play really bad house music. The "DJs" here need to go to Berlin or London and learn how to DJ.  My wife does not dance so we do not go to the discos.  I miss a good waltz... maybe in the upper circles of Manila they have real dances?

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I would think that in many provincial capitals or cities of 50K+ population, you will probably find some local ballroom dance clubs for older people. Dancing seems to be an important part of the educational system here and I would think that it carries forward to older age groups like in many other places and cultures.

I live in a city of 100K. There are a few ballroom dance studios in the main downtown area. I have never bothered to check them out, despite my wife telling me how he used to enjoy ballroom dancing because she had an accident that ended with her having a steel foot implant which sometimes bothers her in bad weather. 

Several months ago, an interesting 81 year old Pinoy friend of mine that I share coffee time with, told me of his ballroom dance club and invited us, if interested. He said its a variety of older age brackets who socialize and teach each other if you want to learn. It meets in one of the local hotel multi-function rooms one night a week. I have never went , but he likes to attend. He is a double widower, but still has a twinkle in his eye and is a very entertaining extrovert who is always very cheerful when I am with him. I think that the dancing provides a real enjoyment to his life at this stage, as he works on writing his autobiography for his descendants.

You might try FB for the city you settle in to find a social dance club or dance group.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 2/3/2019 at 8:07 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

What style of dancing? What kind of music?

All I have seen here is discos. They play really bad house music. The "DJs" here need to go to Berlin or London and learn how to DJ.  My wife does not dance so we do not go to the discos.  I miss a good waltz... maybe in the upper circles of Manila they have real dances?

It's not really house music but a genre all of their own called Buduts. I agree with you regarding dj skills being non existent, they just play tunes in no particular sequence with no mixing whatsoever. As a fairly competent dj myself I find this excruciating...:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Filipinos love to dance...Latin American especially, and modern too.

You will have no shortage of dance partners, venues, etc. All ages.

Frankly, I'm envious of any Westerner who can dance PROPERLY here.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I do modern jive these days , and derivatives of it , I have seen pictures of couple dancing the classics,such as cha cha and tango in an open public area

I've asked a few locals on davao if they were aware of a proper dancing venue ,but it's all disco stuff

• Like 1