How would you safeguard your property in the event of a split with your other half.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Who would kick their parent's out of their own home -

Well, there's people "Who would kick their own parents out of their own home" and then there's the case of the parent's not being able to look after themselves in old age being shoved in an old peoples home and left there till they die!

Yes, it happens in the UK and I'm sure in a lot of other Western Countries.

At the present time in Philippines there is more respect for elderly relatives, but for how long?

Just a thought......JB

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Yes John I knew somebody in the UK who `s father was wealthy.He was fed up with his son splitting up and losing half the house so he bought him one and held it in trust.So could I do that here with my daughter so I (theoretically) would always have somewhere to live if I split with my wife?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Well, there's people "Who would kick their own parents out of their own home" and then there's the case of the parent's not being able to look after themselves in old age being shoved in an old peoples home and left there till they die!

At the present time in Philippines there is more respect for elderly relatives, but for how long?

Just a thought......JB

Having experienced 3 grandparents having to enter old folks homes, i'd say there was no alternative.  In all honesty, how many children these days can really take care of their elderly parents and give them the around the clock care they need?  I for one would not be able to do so and would not hesitate to put my parents in an old folks home as being the only feasible alternative. 

They do appear to respect the elderly here more, but it may be as much to do with the lack of affordable alternatives than the desire to do so.  The whole social structure is different.

• Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

So could I do that here with my daughter so I (theoretically) would always have somewhere to live if I split with my wife?

That might well be worth enquiring about Kevin,  :tiphat:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

That might well be worth enquiring about Kevin,  :tiphat:

Well I am going to try it Keep the rentals in trust for my daughter jointly with my wife and leave her the house in  a will.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

They do appear to respect the elderly here more, but it may be as much to do with the lack of affordable alternatives than the desire to do so.  The whole social structure is different.

You may well be right HK,

Very often it is the elderly parents/ grandparents who are putting a roof over their heads.

No doubt they don't contribute any money towards the upkeep of the property and live for free in return for looking after their seniors.( cooking, cleaning etc;)

After they die the family divide the spoil's, I've seen it happen,

Edited by Kuya John
paragraphing
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

You may well be right HK,

Very often it is the elderly parents/ grandparents who are putting a roof over their heads.

No doubt they don't contribute any money towards the upkeep of the property and live for free in return for looking after their seniors.( cooking, cleaning etc;)

After they die the family divide the spoil's, I've seen it happen,

From my limited observations, I'd say you may be right Kuya John.  It's perhaps seen as some kind of quid pro quo?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well I am going to try it Keep the rentals in trust for my daughter jointly with my wife and leave her the house in  a will.

Assuming you can do that in the Philippines and it's legal. Anything that flies in the face of the family code can be problematic.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gary D said:

Assuming you can do that in the Philippines and it's legal. Anything that flies in the face of the family code can be problematic.

The house is separate from the rentals,That will be willed to her but she will(my daughter) own the rentals but they will be kept in trust as there is nobody else involved it should not violate the family code.When I get an answer to this I will let you all know.It will also help to keep my daughter from some if not all of the gold diggers.This is all conjecture at the moment I am just thinking of not being homeless at an older age.We can but try these things and hope for the best.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

You may want to consult a lawyer. In the one case I know of, (speaking only of the Philippines), where someone tried that and the marriage went sour, the child was a minor when the parents split and the judge said the mother is the legal guardian of the minor child and could do whatever she decided was is in the best interest of the child, up to and including selling the house to provide cash for the "child's needs".  Once again, foreigner out on the street.

Disclaimer, this is only one case and we always here the ones where the foreigner got screwed over.  Your way probably worked many times with no problems.

• Like 3