Manilla Visit

KC813
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, northtoalaska said:

When you go to Corregidor, do you do the, I think it’s Sunshine Tour for 3,000+ or do you just buy a ferry ticket and wander around?

For a first, and likely, only time visitor, what would you suggest?

Thanks. 

Definitely buy the U$65-70 package from Sun Cruises for ferry & tour, a surprisingly efficient and quality operation.   It's been two years since my last visit to Corregidor.  Then you were are assigned a trolley based on your preferred language and I always had excellent tour guides.  Continual narration as you go from stop to stop, with time to get out and explore at the stops.  The only other money you need is for snacks/drinks (sold at some stops) and a separate fee($2-3?) to tour the Malinta Tunnel.  A highlight of the island and absolutely worth it!  One stop is at the hotel for a buffet lunch.

A tip I was given for lunch on my first trip:  If you want a good table on the patio with a beautiful view, sit on the right side of the trolley and when it stops at the hotel, charge in and go past the food line to the patio to stake out your table.  Then return for the food.  Also, if you have a 'western' appetite, grab some extra food on your first time through the buffet.  They're pretty fast at clearing the line!

KC813
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

Years ago I went to Angeles City with my GF. to visit the RAO run by Jim Boyd to establish my FPO address. On the ex airbase there we stopped at a cemetary for Americans that wished to be buried there. It was well kept and nobody else was there but us. I'm not usually an emotional person but I felt honored to be there.  

I am thinking that was probably the Clark Veterans Cemetery.  It deteriorated after the pullout, but was reintegrated into the US Monument Commission about five years ago, the group doing the rehabilitation OMW is seeing.  I remember reading that it was the local VFW that for many years did essential maintenance or the place would have been badly damaged and overgrown.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Isn't there another place up Tarlac way where the troops on the death march were interned.

Mark57
Posted
Posted

I usually stay at the oyster plaza hotel when I first land in manila -   They will come fetch you in their van for free.    Usually you can book it on Agoda for a low price.   Went to the American Cemetery a few years ago   beautiful awe inspiring site.  My father was in the Philippines in WW2  and had several buddies buried there.     only been to the north end of Bataan.  

• 3 weeks later...
WyrldTraveler
Posted
Posted

Usually, any decent hotel would be fine, but I am traveling with an electronics suite, so I am more cautious than normal.

I will be flying into Manila to interview members of Immigration and the Retirement Authority, so Makati would probably be a good location.  I haven't lived in the PI for over 30 years, so I am reaching out for recommendations.

I'll be here a week.  I would prefer to avoid the high-end chain hotels as it's such a sterile experience.  At the same time, I am not willing to suffer at backpacker hostels and compete with four-legged furry friends for space in bed.  Nor am I wanting to be in an area where armed companionship is required after dark. 

Clean, safe, decent wi-fi and not break the bank.  I want too much, I know.

Not knowing how good public transport is, I will consider something further out if I can travel other than by sitting in a car (subway, skytrain, etc.) 

I've looked on other forums but most postings are a year old or worse.

Where do people stay when they have to come to the Capital for random government business?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum WyrldTraveler. I became close friends with a fellow soldier originally from US Virgin Islands way back in the day.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, WyrldTraveler said:

Usually, any decent hotel would be fine, but I am traveling with an electronics suite, so I am more cautious than normal.

I will be flying into Manila to interview members of Immigration and the Retirement Authority, so Makati would probably be a good location.  I haven't lived in the PI for over 30 years, so I am reaching out for recommendations.

I'll be here a week.  I would prefer to avoid the high-end chain hotels as it's such a sterile experience.  At the same time, I am not willing to suffer at backpacker hostels and compete with four-legged furry friends for space in bed.  Nor am I wanting to be in an area where armed companionship is required after dark. 

Clean, safe, decent wi-fi and not break the bank.  I want too much, I know.

Not knowing how good public transport is, I will consider something further out if I can travel other than by sitting in a car (subway, skytrain, etc.) 

I've looked on other forums but most postings are a year old or worse.

Where do people stay when they have to come to the Capital for random government business?

If you want to keep your commute times down then it would be best to try and centrally locate where you stay to minimize the travel time. Traffic is terrible and can take hours to travel distances within the NCR. The best experience for travelling to/from where you stay will be to use Grab, a ride share like Uber where you install the app on your phone. If you don't like hotels you might try AirBnB. We had a very nice AirBnB on our visit last fall. It was a condo in a large complex used a great deal by foreigners. There were restaurants and grocery shopping right on the property with good security.