I asked for patience and God sent me to the Philippines

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Because the tricycles are king of the road here and drive along at 25kph to save fuel, I drive along at 20kph to conserve fuel and wait till I have a procession of the behind me, then I go home.

Who in the hell told these people that driving along at night without lights on conserves fuel? Or is there some other reason?

My father in law told me this is a belief held over from the time when most trikes did not have their own generation system. At that time most trikes had a light powered by a small battery that would wear out at some point. A lot of folks still follow that thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The other night we were invited out to dinner, my gf knows I hate driving at night because of all the idiots on the road here, either drunk, or on drugs but anyway I thought I would keep the peace and go.

So we are driving along this road to the beach, the gf is driving which was my first mistake, anyway one has to learn to be patient with them.

As we were going along I could see some shadows approaching us, so I asked the gf to slow right down, which she did,

Coming towards us in the dark was a group of bike riders taking up the whole lane, maybe four or five wide, not one phucken light between any of them.

So much for going out at night, I will stick to late lunches, home by dusk.

The reason I said I have have patience with her driving:-

After the incident with the bikes, the road does a sweep to the right on the bend and we have to veer off to the left to get to the restaurant, so off she goes to the left, no indicator no slowing down, just drives off to the left.

When I asked her about this  manouver she just did, she said that the road just continues on. What about the double lines in the middle of the road?

”They don’t count here”

I have mentioned before on this forum that the government could save a lot of money by not having traffic lights, road signs, road markings, anything.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Ah, I had forgotten about that bugbear!  I haven't really experienced it in fast food restaurants, but in some stores, yes.  Another thing that I thought I had left behind in Hong Kong is the (admittedly relatively rare here but infuriating) scenario in fast food stores where 2 people will join separate lines and then wait and see which one is faster and jump over just at the last moment - What the actual f#@! kind of people think that is acceptable behaviour?  I'm ashamed to say my own wife was about to do this a couple of weeks ago and I quickly pointed out the error of her ways! 

How about when you have been standing in a queue for 5 minutes and it is nearly your turn to get served, and then the person getting served decides they have forgotten something and goes to get a few more things leaving the people in the queue waiting.

But they just don’t care.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

My wife has lost her sss id card and we have been to the London embassy three times now and still haven't sorted it. The last time I nearly lost it, they couldn't process it because the computer was out in Manila. On the way home we stopped at Costco where she had also lost her membership card, two minutes photo taken and new card in hand, it just isn't hard.

• Like 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

This man set out to find efficiency in the Philippines.

89F6002D-3424-4BD7-A32A-741F11E1695F.gif

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

How about when you have been standing in a queue for 5 minutes and it is nearly your turn to get served, and then the person getting served decides they have forgotten something and goes to get a few more things leaving the people in the queue waiting.

But they just don’t care.

Yep - that's another one but to be fair I used to see that happen in the UK.  I had another one 3 weeks ago - two women were in front of me at the checkout and were taking it in turns to complete their shopping.  I did mention to them that it was normal to complete your shopping before queuing to pay!  Worse still, they both watched as the checkout girl bagged their purchases - neither lifted a finger to help!  

The world would be a great place without the people who inhabit it!

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

My wife has lost her sss id card ........we stopped at Costco where she had also lost her membership card....

:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yep - that's another one but to be fair I used to see that happen in the UK.  I had another one 3 weeks ago - two women were in front of me at the checkout and were taking it in turns to complete their shopping.  I did mention to them that it was normal to complete your shopping before queuing to pay!  Worse still, they both watched as the checkout girl bagged their purchases - neither lifted a finger to help!  

The world would be a great place without the people who inhabit it!

It is just the fools that make it so hard, unfortunately there are a lot of them, and I think they were having a gathering at the Manila airport this afternoon. 

I don’t understand what is so hard about getting everything ready before they get to the scannerhappens in every airport in the world.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I travel in and out of the Philippines a lot and my regular (why does this happen?) is people turning up to check in (without having paid for checked bags just carry on), invariably in groups with multiple bags arguing with check in staff because they have too many bags/too much weight and they either can’t or won’t pay the extra.

Last trip (just one example of many) leaving Cagayan at Laguindingan airport (where there are only 3 Cebu Pacific check in counters) two of them were held up for about an hour forcing everyone else through a single check in counter.  When someone started arguing about bags at that one they somehow found a way to check one of the groups in and moved this new lot to one of the stalled counters.

No point getting stressed about it... it’s just the way things are *shrug*

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1