I asked for patience and God sent me to the Philippines

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes true but its not like you need a oil change so in this case its like compulsory guidance to park or leave your spot.  Ask to see a certificate of traffic management lol 

And should that certificate be laminated? lol

Anselm
Posted
Posted

Those parking guys are not so bad, 5 pesos and they'll find you a space and watch for you... not ideal but have seen cars scratched for refusing to pay, yes a form of extortion similar to how the NPA works but if I'm not going to stress out over 5 pesos... unless the asawa has decided to remove all the coins from the tray I keep them in for some unknown reason! Now there's a real stress!

Also have you seen 90% of locals trying to park? 

But then they ask for 10 pesos at Christmas, cheeky buggers, I don't get 13th month so neither will you

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

One mistake that I used to make. I would drive my GF to the market, and rather than go in with her (only when it's really hot) I would wait in the car with the aircon running. If one of the beggar kids would come knocking on my window (tinted) I would roll down the window and give them a good amount of coins. Within minutes my car was surrounded with all of his friends that he told about it.:whatever: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

True but I knew a guy at work that did not pay a parking "attendant" in the US.  Came to a broken window - and no witnesses...  

True. I suppose I'm just one of those lucky guys. Have parked 3 different cars that I have owned here since 2002 and not one has received any damage from parking attendants. I don't think that Filipinos are that vengeful. I give the basura guys on the garbage truck a P50 tip each time they come by and cold water whenever they ask for it. P300 each during Christmas. Ex-scrooge here.:wave:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

Tipping and patience is truly not off topic, imo. It’s a culture internally comfortable with accepting money for goods and services that otherwise should be free. I figure what’s the point in being in a corrupt country if you can’t make the most of it? Life is smoother, less resistance, easier to be patient. Getting prioritized is not uncommon and I like to be thoughtful anyway. Relative to the West amounts are small. Win-win, imo.

• Like 4

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/5/2019 at 11:19 PM, hk blues said:

Yep - that's another one but to be fair I used to see that happen in the UK.  I had another one 3 weeks ago - two women were in front of me at the checkout and were taking it in turns to complete their shopping.  I did mention to them that it was normal to complete your shopping before queuing to pay!  Worse still, they both watched as the checkout girl bagged their purchases - neither lifted a finger to help!  

The world would be a great place without the people who inhabit it!

Someone once made a similar remark about Paris

Edited by nor cal mike

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

Tipping and patience is truly not off topic, imo. It’s a culture internally comfortable with accepting money for goods and services that otherwise should be free. I figure what’s the point in being in a corrupt country if you can’t make the most of it? Life is smoother, less resistance, easier to be patient. Getting prioritized is not uncommon and I like to be thoughtful anyway. Relative to the West amounts are small. Win-win, imo.

I think it was Jake who said “when in Rome, do as the Filipinos do”. I think this wisdom goes a long way in the PI.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

I think it was Jake who said “when in Rome, do as the Filipinos do”. I think this wisdom goes a long way in the PI.

Good morning guys,

I'm trying to think from a Filipino's perspective about being patience in general.  Let's look at the daily street life in which you are directly involved.  It has already been mentioned -- standing in line, stop and go traffic or trying to navigate through a local market with nuts to butts people and it's still dark at 5AM. 

Do you think that locals (generally) would say excuse me, are you next in line, sorry I bumped into you or give you a thumbs up (thank you) for his jeepney to cut in front of you?  No?  Well, don't expect it either.  It took me awhile to build my patience in everything I see there.  The Filipino term is called in Tagalog -- BAHALA NA is what I had to learn again.  However these days, if you say something like -- hey a$$hole, the end of line is behind me.  Well, you might get a blade up your rib cage.  Yeah, proceed with caution.  

In other words -- don't worry, be happy as you piss your beer away against the nearest wall and you're surrounded with beautiful and sexy bakla boys looking at your package.  Yeah, I still have zipper marks for zipping up too quickly....he, he.

By the way, the walls of the Vatican in Rome is strictly guarded by the Swiss Army dressed in a renaissance cape and a nice UZI tucked underneath.  

Good boy ako.......

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Realy?

I bet its the only place anyone is registered. Do they have ID? 

They are registered at most of the places in Dumaguete and yes have ID.We tend to be more civilised down here.:cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

BAHALA NA

I googled and found this

Bahala Na, is an attitude that loosely translated into English means 'fatalistic passiveness', it actually describes the Filipino way of life, in which, he or she is determined to do their best, and let god take care of the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1