I asked for patience and God sent me to the Philippines

Jake
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I googled and found this

Bahala Na, is an attitude that loosely translated into English means 'fatalistic passiveness', it describes the Filipino way of life, in which, he or she is determined to do their best, and let god take care of the rest.

Thanks Kevin, that's the polite version.  Often times and depending on the conversation or the context, it usually means -- do whatever you want to do........I don't puckin' care anymore (ending with that P word).  

I know.  Judy gives me that "bolo knife in hand" look and off I go (escape) with a door knob stuck to my butt......he, he.  

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted (edited)

bahala na.  Come what may.  So it goes.

bahala ka.  Up to you.

At least that's the way I use 'em.

Edited by manofthecoldland
added a bit more.
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Even before I came to the Philippines I always tried to do my best and past that it was... que sera sera (which roughly means ‘whatever will be will be’, although Doris Day fans might prefer ‘what will be will be’).

That isn’t so different to Bahala Na which might be why I feel comfortable with attitudes here?

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That isn’t so different to Bahala Na which might be why I feel comfortable with attitudes here?

:thumbsup: But we should I feel, think about quotes that we come across and I for one, can be responsible at times for resembling one  I think we could all be guilty of " their  Character is who they are, their attitude at times can be drawn from the way we say things to them'" Worth thinking about ? :wink:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You are correct I think, often it is not what we say but how we say it that leads to a particular response in return.  But I’d still classify that as part of ‘doing my best’ and before que sera sera :)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

You are correct I think, often it is not what we say but how we say it that leads to a particular response in return.  But I’d still classify that as part of ‘doing my best’ and before que sera sera :)

Yes I would agree But and there is always a But EH? That is you and like so many of us it is all part of how were brought up and taught, unfortunately, people here ( especially in Customer Services) work from a script, to deviate from that and they get the Nosebleed  and retort to the shoulder shrug and it is That, that gets to us, yes as you, the longer I am here the situation gets as it is and we adjust but for newcomers it can be one of those rough edges that needs to be smoothed off, When the Rose coloured glasses come of, the light of day becomes real and soon they learn that Que sera  sera actually does exist :smile:

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jake said:

It took me awhile to build my patience in everything I see there.  The Filipino term is called in Tagalog -- BAHALA NA is what I had to learn again.

I was talking about this before but did not know the term... I just call it the 'Filipino shrug'.  When they know there is nothing to be done about something, noise corruption etc, they have this shrug they do. They eyes pretty much say 'eh, what you gonna do?'  It is a lesson many expats need to learn.  Some days I have it... some days... not so much. :tiphat: 

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 2/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, Onemore52 said:

Because the tricycles are king of the road here and drive along at 25kph to save fuel, I drive along at 20kph to conserve fuel and wait till I have a procession of the behind me, then I go home.

Who in the hell told these people that driving along at night without lights on conserves fuel? Or is there some other reason?

No other reason it's to conserve fuel........Ingrained

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

I was told it was to save their battery.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

1 hour ago, Gary D said:

I was told it was to save their battery.

Either one just shows they know nothing about car engines, and how alternators work. 

• Like 2